A pet dog was found dead in a home that caught fire Sunday in Gwinnett County.
Gwinnett fire crews responded to a report of a blaze at a home on Brookshire Place in unincorporated Lawrenceville about 3:30 p.m., according to a news release.
Crews arrived to find the back of the home and attic on fire. No one was home at the time of the blaze.
Firefighters who cleared the residence found the dog inside the residence, the release said.
The fire is believed to have been accidental and was potentially caused by “discarded smoking materials” on the exterior of the home, the release said. The house suffered extensive damange, Gwinnett fire said.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.