DeKalb man killed in Sunday shooting

A DeKalb County man who refurbished and sold cars out of his Columbia Drive home, was shot and killed Sunday afternoon.

DeKalb County police spokesman D.C. Hamilton said officers responded to emergency calls of gunshots at around 12:30 p.m. He said the man, who was not identified, was alive when paramedics arrived, but died at the hospital.

“Nobody is in custody and nobody has been arrested yet,” Hamilton said. “We are still sorting things out.”

Throughout the rainy afternoon, as police combed through evidence in the man’s yard, neighbors gathered across the street.

They said the man was well known in the neighborhood, mainly because he had a yard full of cars that he sold. Nearly a dozen cars were currently in the yard.

“He was a nice guy,” said Daisy Glover, who has lived in the area for 19 years. “I don’t know why anyone would want to shoot him.”

Athens good Samaritan beaten and robbed

An Athens good Samaritan was beaten and robbed Saturday afternoon after responding to a woman’s plea for help, police say.

Alexus Frei told Athens-Clarke County police she was walking along the 300 block of East Clayton Street when she was stopped by the woman, who said she had twisted her ankle and needed assistance getting to her car. Frei said as she was helping the woman the woman slammed her to the ground.

Two accomplices, one male and one female, emerged and began kicking Frei before fleeing with her purse and other items, according to police.

Early morning Cherokee highway standoff ends in suicide

A suicide by an unidentified man closed Interstate 575 between Canton and Sixes roads for about two hours Sunday.

Tanya Smith, a spokesperson for the Holly Springs Police Department said that at about 7:30 a.m., a man pulled over to the side of 575 South into the wood line. He was seen wearing a bulletproof vest with a gun outside the car and then got back inside. Hee sat in his car with a gun to his head for about two hours. After a morning standoff with authorities he shot himself around 9:25 a.m. Smith did not release his name.