DeKalb County agencies are collecting new and gently used children’s shoes as donations to raise awareness about child abuse.
The donation drive, running through May 10, is organized by the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office in commemoration of National Child Abuse Prevention Month, recognized each April.
The DA’s office will donate the shoes to the DeKalb County Division of Family and Children Services to help the children DFCS serves. It did not say if there was a preference for a specific type of children’s shoe.
»MORE DEKALB NEWS: Festival that began in wake of tornado promises 30 carnival rides
The DA’s office is partnering with the county’s Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Affairs to use several recreation centers as drop-off locations:
• Browns Mill Recreation Center, 5101 Browns Mill Rd, Lithonia, 30038
• Exchange Recreation Center, 2771 Columbia Dr., Decatur, 30034
• Gresham Recreation Center, 3113 Gresham Road, Atlanta, 30316
• Hamilton Recreation Center, 3263 Chapel St., Scottdale, 30079
• Lucious Sanders Recreation Center, 2484 Bruce St., Lithonia, 30058
• Mason Mill Recreation Center, 1340-B McConnell Dr., Decatur, 30033
• N.H. Scott Recreation Center, 2230 Tilson Road, Decatur, 30032
• Tobie Grant Recreation Center, 644 Parkdale Dr., Scottdale, 30079
“We want to raise awareness about this critical issue while filling a practical need that provides a measure of comfort and care,” DeKalb DA Sherry Boston said in a statement.
The shoe drive, titled “A Mile in their Shoes,” is the first one the agencies have done.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.