Atlanta Fire Rescue decontamination workers cleaned up Tuesday after responding to a chlorine leak. JOHN SPINK / JSPINK@AJC.COM

NE Atlanta senior center evacuated because of chlorine leak

A northeast Atlanta senior center had be to evacuated Tuesday morning after a chlorine leak, a fire spokesman said.

Employees were just beginning to arrive at the Helene S. Mills Multipurpose Senior Center in the 500 block of John Wesley Dobbs Avenue when a worker discovered the leak in a pool chemical storage facility, Atlanta Fire Rescue Sgt. Cortez Stafford said.

That employee called 911 and Atlanta fire decontamination units checked the center “to make sure there were no dangers to them or anyone else,” he said.

John Wesley Dobbs Avenue and Boulevard were temporarily closed while authorities processed the scene. Authorities ultimately found the leak was “not hazardous and non-threatening to anyone” because the worker quickly reported it, Stafford said.

The closed roads were quickly reopened.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.