Man who routinely wore contact lenses while sleeping now blind in one eye

According to the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study, many people choose not to follow those rules, which can lead to serious vision and health consequences.

>>Read more about the study and usage tips

Chad Groeschen knows all too well the damage that can occur and shared his story with BuzzFeed to prevent others from experiencing the same fate.

>> Read more trending stories 

Goreschen used to sleep into his extended-wear contact lenses for up to a week. He had no problems with this routine until one morning, he woke up with itchy eyes. His symptoms progressed quickly despite going to the doctor for what he thought was a sinus infection or allergies. By the third day, he was experiencing intense pain and had almost no vision in one eye. A specialist informed Goreschen that his eye was infected with Pseudomonas bacteria.

The infection caused blindness in one eye. While the bacteria doesn’t always lead to blindness, doctors say serious damage to the eye due to poor contact lens hygiene is more common that one might thing.

Doctors believe that Goreschen’s habit of sleeping in his contact lenses caused the infection.

According to his Facebook page, Goreschen is feeling much better but his vision is still “wonky.” Doctors say he may need a corneal transplant to restore his vision.

Week 3 - 11th eye appointment. Feeling a lot better. Head hurts a lot less Infection almost gone. Vision still wonky.

Posted by Chad Groeschen on Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X