Man who died when truck landed on I-75 was ‘so full of love’

Combined ShapeCaption
Man who died when truck landed on I-75 was ‘so full of love’

In June 2015, Dennis Farve drove from Louisiana to Georgia to meet the woman he’d been talking to for months by phone.

“We fell in love,” Carlea Hammond told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “He never left. I was so broken. And my daughter was broken. And he held us.”

Now she is struggling to understand what led to his sudden death on a Georgia interstate.

Farve, 33, died Monday when his pickup truck left the Akers Mill Road overpass and landed on I-75, according to Cobb County police.

“This was not something done intentionally,” Hammond said of her fiance. “He was too full of life and too full of love.”

RELATED: Police ID driver who died after truck flew off bridge onto I-75

Farve lived with Hammond, her daughter, an aunt and uncle in Dallas. He was returning from visiting a friend at the time of the crash, Hammond said. Farve didn’t work because of a disability. But he was a constant companion to Hammond’s uncle. Her family knew something was wrong  on Monday when Farve didn’t arrive to pick up her uncle from dialysis.

“He’s been there for my aunt, side by side with my uncle,” Hammond said.

But Monday afternoon, Farve’s phone went straight to voicemail. Hammond panicked and started calling police agencies and was ready to call hospitals when she got the news. While on his usual route home, Farve had died in a violent crash.

“I just wished I could wake up and it all be a dream,” Hammond said.

The two had planned to marry, but life had gotten in the way. But Hammond said her family already considered Farve one of them. Her 13-year-old daughter treated Farve like her father, and he loved her in return, Hammond said.

“That was her daddy,” she said. “He was her world.”

Farve's mother arrived in Georgia late Monday. The family has created a Go Fund Me page to assist with funeral costs. Hammond said Farve will be cremated and she hopes to be able to have a memorial service.

The crash remains under investigation, according to police.

Combined ShapeCaption
The pickup went up the HOV ramp and through the wall on the Akers Mill Road bridge Monday afternoon.