A fire destroyed a Georgia College fraternity house.
Photo: Lauren Cumming
Photo: Lauren Cumming

NEW DETAILS: Wiring issues, old wood contributed to massive fire at college fraternity house

A massive fire burned down a Georgia college fraternity house Sunday, displacing all 10 students who lived there.

Video footage showed the Theta Chi house at Georgia College in Milledgeville engulfed in flames.

While all of the students who lived in the house made it out safely, most of their belongings were destroyed.

“Georgia College is assisting them to ensure they have accommodations and essential supplies,” the college said in a statement.

Milledgeville fire officials told Channel 2 Action News the building was not an officially sanctioned fraternity house and was not subject to annual safety inspections. Wiring inside the house was never intended to handle 10 occupants, officials told the news station, and the structure’s old wood caused it to burn fast. 

GoFundMe campaign created to help the students has raised more than $28,000 of its $30,000 goal in just one day.

In other news:

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.