Person of interest in Secoriea Turner’s death says he was not involved

Credit: AJC

The man told Channel 2's Tom Jones that he was there the night of shooting but he didn't kill the girl.

Credit: AJC

A man identified as the second person of interest in the shooting death of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner denies being involved in the incident, according to Channel 2 Action News.

“At the end of the day, I had nothing to do with it,” 19-year-old Julian Conley told the news station on Monday.

The teen came forward after Atlanta police circulated his photo on Sunday and said he was wanted for questioning in Secoriea’s death.

The new photos that Atlanta police distributed Sunday appear to show Julian Conley with an assault weapon around his leg.

RELATED: 2nd person of interest sought in 8-year-old Atlanta girl's shooting death

The child was killed a little after 9:30 p.m. July 4 when as many as four armed civilians opened fire on her mother’s SUV in a parking lot off University Avenue, police said.

The fatal shooting occurred across the street from the Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks was killed by an Atlanta police officer last month.

MORE: Mourners pray, cops seek answers in 8-year-old's shooting death

Atlanta police Lt. Pete Malecki previously said investigators believe the shots were fired intentionally after the Jeep Cherokee that Secoriea was riding in crossed a “makeshift roadblock that was manned by numerous armed individuals.”

“The driver of the (Cherokee) attempted to go around the roadblock, at which point that vehicle was immediately met by gunfire,” Malecki said during a news conference at police headquarters.

ALSO: Calm at Atlanta Wendy's after police clear site

The car was struck at least eight times, police said. The rising third grader was rushed to Atlanta Medical Center, but died of her injuries.

Secoreia Turner

“I feel terribly sorry about what happened to Secoriea Turner,” Conley said.

Conley said he was at the scene of the incident and saw what happened. He admitted he had a weapon with him, but said he did not fire it that night, Channel 2 reported.

Attorney Jackie Patterson, who is representing Conley, said his client saw himself on television as a second person of interest in the case.

MORE: Secoriea Turner's parents ask community for help

“The fact that he looked like he’s guilty by showing somebody’s picture on television, he had to set the record straight.”

Patterson said Conley told him a man driving the SUV went through the barricade and hit a man who was armed with a rifle.

“And when that person fell to the ground, the person got up and started firing at that vehicle,” Patterson told Channel 2.

Patterson said his client does not know the shooter’s name, Channel 2 reported.

Police told Channel 2 they have encouraged Conley to speak with an investigator regarding the case.

“We have nothing to say to the police,” Patterson said. “We just want the public to know that this man is innocent.”

Atlanta police are still looking for the first person of interest in the case.

RELATED: Person of interest sought in 8-year-old Atlanta girl's shooting death

This is the first person of interest in the July 4 shooting death of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner, according to Atlanta police.

Credit: Atlanta Police Department

Credit: Atlanta Police Department

Attorney Mawuli Davis, who represents the family, said on Monday the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Secoriea’s killers has been increased to $50,000.

“If you know something, say something,” Secoriea’s father, Secoriya Williamson said. “Do what’s right. You will not be labeled as a snitch. You’ll be labeled as a hero.”

In Other News