First design job: A nursery. The room was magical, a little over the top, but so much fun.
Big break: A client's condo in Midtown Atlanta.
Design pet peeves: Area rugs that are too small. I hate to see a rug floating in the middle of a seating group, such as a dining room. The rug should be large enough to allow guests to slide dining chairs out from the table without falling off the edge of the rug.
Current design obsession(s): Rock crystal. It is a way to add a natural, organic element to a room, plus a little sparkle without being overly flashy or feminine. Both men and women love it, and it comes in different colors.
New (or re-emerging) looks I like: Using natural elements and mixing metals in a design.
… and looks I am glad to see go: Chintz and Pantone's 2015 color of the year: Marsala.
Most unusual request: Transform a boring terrace-level room into a nightclub. Created a bubble wall as a focal point of the bar, lit the liquor bottles from underneath, and added a stainless steel pool table, contemporary furniture and lots of TVs. People can't believe it is in a client's basement.
Every room needs: A little black. Black helps ground a space, and it works as an anchor with almost every color.
- Atlanta-area home stores/showrooms: So many, including Bradley Hughes; City Collection; The Finished Room; City Issue; and Nandina Home.
- Places for expected (or great) finds: The14th Street Antiques Market. Also Etsy.com for handcrafted, inexpensive pieces.
- Magazines: Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles, Elle Decor, Dwell and House Beautiful.
- On Instagram: The real houses of IG; Waiting on Martha; and Kelly Wearstler.
My personal style: Eclectic modern. I like things clean and simple but with a twist.
Household issues I am fussy about: Storage. I like everything to have a home.
What I collect: Sand from the places around the world that I have visited. I then display it in antique apothecary bottles. Whenever I look at the bottles and the sand, I'm reminded of my travels.
Latest project: Two teen rooms in Buckhead. The project was challenging because of the unusual shape of the rooms, but I was able to be creative and innovative with the design.
What's new: A nightclub in downtown Atlanta.
Find Minhnuyet Hardy at:
• Website: www.minhnuyethardy.com
• Facebook: minhnuyethardyinteriors
• Instagram: minhnuyethardy