Thanks to the ridiculous proliferation of TV competitions, virtually everybody seems to be a winner. And this week, a few Atlantans could be taking home some big prizes. None are at the "Survivor" $1 million level, but hey, not everybody can be Richard Hatch. (And aren't you glad you aren't?")
"The Today Show" (NBC)• Finale: Wednesday
• Local finalists: Engaged couple Darnell Suggs and LaDonna Bradford
• Where they placed: They won! They beat out a couple that included an Iraqi vet.
• The prize: A fully paid-for wedding at Rockefeller Center on June 25
• How they did it: They were aggressive marketers, sending 1,000 e-mails each week to everybody they know to vote for them. "It's been fun and crazy all at the same time," said Suggs, a technology consultant.
"Top Chef" (Bravo)• Finale: Wednesday, 10 p.m.
• Local finalist: Richard Blais
• What's at stake: $100,000
• Why he's in the finals: The Atlanta restaurateur has won more challenges than anybody else left. He's shown sophistication, taste and maturity in his cooking. (Heck, the judges even liked the banana guacamole!) Of his two rivals, grouchy, sporadic Lisa has virtually no chance of taking the crown, but consistently sharp Stephanie could pose Richard's biggest obstacle.
• Chances of winning: Excellent
"Miss Rap Supreme" (VH1)• Finale: Monday, June 9
• Local finalist: Miss Cherry
• Where she placed: Third
• Why she didn't win: Her rap style isn't as smooth as winner Rece Steele's and runner-up Byata's, though she does evoke sensuality and offers heartfelt rhymes.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.