When she returned to the fast food chain to inform the employees of the issue, they discovered that the coffee machine had a cleaning line hooked into the milk dispenser.
Soon after, she contacted her family doctor and the local poison control center. Since she did not swallow the chemicals, health officials found she was in good standing.
The McDonald’s franchise owner Dan Brown later released a statement about the incident.
“McDonald's is renowned for its food safety protocols and I am sorry that this happened in my restaurant,” he said. “We have taken immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures with the team and have put additional signage up as an added reminder.”
Although the restaurant apologized for the matter, Douglas said it was important to speak out about her experience to prevent it from happening again.
“As a mother,” she said, “I want to make sure I have voice and that I'm being heard in terms of the safety of consumers.”
» RELATED: McDonald's Monopoly game was rigged once. Here is how it happened