The official guide to the AJC Decatur Book Festival was be published in the Sunday, Aug. 26 editions of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The AJC Decatur Book Festival, the largest independent book festival in the nation, will be Friday, Aug. 31 through Sunday, Sept. 2 in downtown Decatur. The annual festival was first held on Labor Day weekend in 2006.
The 32-page guide will be included in printed editions and the AJC ePaper on Sunday.
Inside are maps and schedules, including a separate breakdown of activities for children, families and young adults.
If you’re looking for the event time and location for a specific event or author, you’ll find an index of speakers arranged alphabetically by last name. This index also indicates which book the author will be discussing at his/her event.
Also included in the guide:
- A map of the 17 festival venues across downtown Decatur
- A map of festival exhibitors
- Information about book sales and author signings
- Children's Parade information
AJC's connection to the festival
The book festival is a nonprofit organization that receives funding and in-kind donations from the city of Decatur, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Emory University, Mail Chimp and other educational institutions and media outlets.
Authors to watch for at the festival
The AJC Decatur Book Festival claims a schedule of some 430 authors. They include:
- Charles Frazier (historical fiction)
- Melissa Faye Green (nonfiction, journalist, based in Atlanta)
- Tayari Jones (novelist, formerly from Atlanta)
- Armistead Maupin (San Francisco-based fiction author)
AJC journalists at the festival
- Mike Luckovich, cartoonist, Saturday, 3-3:45 p.m., Marriott Conference Center A
- Kevin Riley, editor, Friday, 8 p.m., Schwartz Center at Emory University
- Rosalind Bentley, Saturday, 1:45-2:30 p.m., Culinary Stage
- Maureen Downey, Saturday, 5:30-6:15 p.m., Marriott Conference Center B
- Bo Emerson, Saturday, 4:15-5 p.m., Marriott Conference Center B
- Bria Felicien, Saturday, 1:45-2:30 p.m., Marriott Conference Center Auditorium
- Rodney Ho, Saturday, 10-10:45 a.m., Decatur Library
- Jim Galloway, Sunday, 5-5:45 p.m. , Marriott Conference Center B
- Becca Godwin, Sunday, 1:15-2 p.m. , Marriott Conference Center C
- Wiloughby Mariano , Sunday, 1:15-2 p.m., Marriott Conference Center A
- Jeremy Redmon, reporter, Sunday, 3:45-4:30 p.m., Marriott Conference Center B
- Jamie Sarrio, Saturday, 5:30-6:15 p.m., First Baptist Decatur Sanctuary
- Authors and other celebrities will also appear at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution booth, located on E. Ponce de Leon Avenue at Clairemont Avenue. Tentative schedule includes: Saturday 10 a.m. Kenny Leon, Noon Mike Luckovich, 3:30 p.m. Karin Slaughter. Sunday, Noon Charles Frazier.
2018 Festival Shirts
Like the 2018 poster art? Get yourself a T-shirt with a full color image of our 2018 artwork and support the AJC Decatur Book Festival at the same time: a portion of proceeds help fund the festival. They will be sold during the festival at select locations.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.