Each year, the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance evaluates charities seeking donations and researches them on their charity trustworthiness.
>> On WSOCTV.com: Research charity before donating #GivingTuesday
BBB officials said it encourages potential donors to use these evaluations to determine the organizations’ trustworthiness so that your hard-earned dollars go to charities that operate ethically.
Here are some tips from the Better Business Bureau to make the most of your holiday donations.
Giving Tuesday tips
- Watch out for name similarities.
- Avoid on-the-spot donation decisions from unfamiliar organizations.
- Be wary of emotional appeals.
- Avoid charities that don't disclose requested information.
- Rely on standards-based evaluations.
Read more here.