EXUBERANT PARMESAN SANDWICH
Prep: 15 minutes
Wait: 2 to 24 hours
Cook: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
1 cup buttermilk
2 chicken cutlets, 4 ounces each
6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1 cup yellow bell pepper matchsticks
1/4 cup whole hot cherry peppers (from a jar)
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 hoagie rolls
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Marinate: Whisk together the buttermilk and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add cutlets. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours.
2. Dredge: Stir together Parmesan cheese, Panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Pull cutlets out of their buttermilk bath and dredge in Parm mix. Heat oven to 250 degrees. Keep handy a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
3. Brown: In a medium skillet, heat oil and butter over medium. When hot, add garlic. Cook until golden and crisp, 1 minute; scoop out with a slotted spoon. Add cutlets to the pan. Cook until crisp brown outside and tender inside, about 3 minutes per side. Slide cutlets onto the baking sheet, and keep warm in oven.
4. Soften: Add tomatoes, bell peppers, cherry peppers and crushed red pepper to the skillet. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened (but still hold their shape), about 5 minutes. Stir in crisp garlic.
5. Toast: Open rolls. Cover the bottom faces with mozzarella. Toast in a toaster oven or under a hot boiler until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
6. Build: Stack one chicken cutlet on each bun bottom. Top with tomato mixture. Close. Squish. Munch.