If recent years are any indication, there will be more than 35 million people on the road this Labor Day.
Fortunately, you don't have to travel far from metro Atlanta to find fun.
Whether you're in the mood for sand and sun, a hike in the mountains or cultural attractions, there are options for everyone.
And with falling gas prices, these nearby destinations are even more attractive:
• 5 best lakes in Georgia: From the anything-goes atmosphere of Folly Beach in Charleston, to the rugged elegance of Georgia's stately Golden Isles, these spots offer sunsets without months spent vacuuming sand out of everything you own. [Read more]
• 10 often-overlooked beaches: From the pristine sands of Ossabaw Island in Georgia to the historic draw of Wilmington, North Carolina, discover new locations that shouldn't be overlooked. [Read more]
• 5 beginner-friendly waterfall trails in North Georgia: Explore these easy hikes where streams, creeks and rivers wind through the mountainous landscape to create breathtaking waterfalls. [Read more]
• 7 must-see roadside waterfalls in Georgia: Longing for the tranquility of a waterfall, but can't commit to a long hike? Check out these seven must-see falls on relatively short hikes, all well under a mile. [Read more]
• Winchester, Kentucky: Nestled between the rolling green Kentucky Bluegrass Region and the rugged Appalachians, the city entices visitors with rich history, natural beauty and easy access to Lexington. [Read more]
Staying in town for Labor Day? Why not chip away at that end of the summer bucket list?
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.