A staycation makes for the perfect little break when you’re low on time and resources. And according to WalletHub, Atlanta is one of the best cities in the country for a sweet summer escape.
For the new ranking, analysts over at the personal finance website compared 182 U.S. cities (including the 150 most populated) plus at least two of the most populated in each state across three key dimensions: recreation, food/entertainment and rest/relaxation.
They then further evaluated the dimensions using 43 relevant metrics, from number of swimming pools, parks and festivals per capita to summer weather, average price for a movie and more.
Of the 182 cities on the list, Honolulu earned top honors, followed by Orlando and Chicago. Chula Vista and Oxnard, California, both ranked at the bottom.
Atlanta came in at No. 13.
Here’s more on how the metro fared:
- Overall rank: 13
- Recreation: 27
- Food/entertainment: 15
- Rest/relaxation: 18
The other Georgia cities on the list—Columbus and Augusta—ranked 92nd and 144th, respectively.
If you’re planning to stick around Atlanta this summer, here are our top recommendations:
- Attend a festival: There’s the Georgia Renaissance Festival, the Piedmont Park Arts festival, the Atlanta Food and Wine Festival, and more.
- Visit the High Museum of Art, recently named the best-designed building in Georgia
- Explore marine life at the Georgia Aquarium, one of the “coolest aquariums around the world,” according to Gildshire magazine
- Eat at one of Atlanta’s best barbecue restaurants
- Eat everywhere! Use our AJC Spring Dining Guide to get your food tour started
- Take a dip at a local pool (for free)
- Bring Fido along for a doggy swim around town
- Attend one of Atlanta’s many upcoming summer concerts, from Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Kendrick Lamar and more
- Take a date to catch a free outdoor movie
- Get to know Atlanta’s history at the Atlanta History Center and beyond
- Spend some time volunteering around the city with Furkids, at the Atlanta Community Food Bank or Hands On Atlanta
- Cross off everything on this ultimate Atlanta bucket list
For more, visit our family-friendly guide to getting the most out of Atlanta this summer.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.