The Dart House was built by William Dart, son of Brunswick's co-founder Urbanas Dart, over 137 years ago. The two-story house was constructed in Folk Victorian style using milled cypress and pine, and has survived numerous hurricanes. The Dart family maintained ownership until 1983, when the house was sold to Golden Isle-Brunswick Chamber of Commerce, which undertook an extensive rehabilitation at the time of purchase. The Chamber of Commerce relocated to newer offices in 2013, leaving the Dart House empty and susceptible to deferred maintenance and deterioration. In Sept. 2014, the Chamber entered an agreement with the Historic Brunswick Foundation to allow the Foundation five months to raise $300,000 so that it may purchase the property. The Foundation set a goal to raise $500,000 in order to acquire the building and meet any restoration and maintenance needs. Failure to raise the acquisition funds may result in demolition of this important house.
East Point City Hall, City Auditorium, City Library and Victory Park form a contiguous block that has been the heart of downtown East Point since the 1930s. The East Point City Hall still houses city offices, but its use is limited. The City Auditorium was closed to the public in 2011 and has sustained roof damage leading to interior water damage. The library, closed since the 1990s, is currently used as a storage space by the city. With no plans for protection and the constant threat of demolition through neglect, the future for these historic buildings remains uncertain.
The Federal Road in Georgia developed from the established Lower Creek Trading Path, a trading path between Lower Creek Nation and Upper Creek Nation towns. Following the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, President Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Hawkins, his Indian Agent to the Creeks, negotiated official use of the trail as a Federal Road and it became a conduit for white settlement in southwest Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Today, known portions of the Federal Road serve as roadbeds of several modern highways that utilize the same established route through Georgia.
Constructed in 1910, this building replaced an earlier hospital. At the time of construction, the building was worth $25,000 but was built for $15,000 thanks to reuse of materials and generous donations. The building also served as a nurses' dormitory and personal care facility. The building is now vacant and in disrepair. It was acquired by the City of Griffin's Land Bank and a new owner is being sought. If a renovation plan cannot be established quickly, the building will be transferred to the City of Griffin for demolition and the property will be given for an alternative use.
L.C. Mandeville, son of an early pioneer family in Carroll County, built this home in 1890. The Queen Anne Victorian was the first house in the area with indoor plumbing and electricity. The residential home was converted for commercial use in the 1960s, most notably serving as a restaurant called The Maple Street Mansion. The original building was expanded to include a sports bar, meeting rooms and an event space. The Mandeville Homestead has been vacant for several years and is showing signs of neglect. When the Maple Street Historic District was formed in 1988, the property was not included in the district and therefore is not subject to Carrollton's Historic Preservation Ordinance. Current plans are for demolition of the original structure unless new tenants and funding for rehabilitation can be identified.
Dr. Stewart, Portal's first doctor, built this drugstore in 1907. The small wooden building served as a pharmacy, doctor's office and soda fountain over the years, and Dr. Stewart was known to do surgery in the back of the drugstore while his wife tended the soda fountain in the front. Though the drugstore closed in 1950, its interior remains largely intact. With medical books and instruments, stocked shelves and the soda fountain still inside, this is perhaps the most thorough and authentic example of an early community pharmacy in the entire state. In 1990, the building and its artifacts were given to the Portal Heritage Society, which hosted tours until 2012. Unfortunately, the building was found to be structurally compromised and tours were discontinued. The Portal Heritage Society lacks the necessary resources to properly preserve the drugstore. The city may condemn and demolish the building if it is found to be a safety or fire hazard.
Thomas K. Glenn built this estate in 1929 on 400 acres of farmland north of Atlanta. Designed by Samuel Inman Cooper, the Tudor Revival property also included stables, barns, smith and carpentry shops, and housing for workers. More recently, the home has been used in movies such as "Driving Miss Daisy." The mansion is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Of the original 400 acres, only approximately 80 acres remain as part of the Glenridge property. In the summer of 2014, that acreage was placed up for sale. Because of its location (just west of Georgia 400 and bisected by Abernathy Road), large-scale commercial development highly likely. At this time, there are no protections for Glenridge Hall that would keep the home from being significantly altered, or even demolished, and its surrounding property inappropriately developed. Conservation easements and other tax incentives could help preserve this beautiful home and grounds.
Listed as a 2013 Place in Peril, the Hancock County Courthouse was built in 1883. The courthouse was well known for its red brick façade and prominent clock tower. After suffering from decline due to a lack of funding for maintenance, the county had recently started $150,000 worth of exterior renovations. In August, a fire ripped through the courthouse, destroying the famed clock tower and leaving only the exterior brick walls standing. The county will be forced to relocate its business in the short term as it works with insurance adjusters, architects, engineers and contractors to rebuild the courthouse with the inclusion of modern upgrades necessary for today's county courthouse.
Constructed in 1939 as part of the Public Works Administration, the Sandersville High School was designed by William J.J. Chase, a noted Georgia architect. The single-story, red brick building originally housed the town's high school, elementary school, administration offices, library and 600-seat auditorium. The building was vacated in 2008, and since then neglect, a lack of maintenance and potential vandalism has continued to threaten the structure. Additionally, extensive damage occurred during the winter of 2014 due to a pipe that froze and burst. A cooperative effort between the State Property Commission, the Board of Education, local government and concerned citizens gathered some momentum to rehabilitate that building to serve as a community center, but a concrete plan for this remains elusive.
Nicholas Ware, a prominent Georgia businessman and politician, built this mansion on the outskirts of Augusta in 1818. The cost of construction - over $40,000 - was outrageous for the time period, leading to the moniker Ware's Folly. The home is one of the finest examples of Federalist architecture in the state. The exterior is highlighted by detailed pilasters, bay windows and a three-tiered portico with symmetrical wings on either side. The interior boasts distinctive moldings, fireplaces and a curving "floating" staircase from the main floor to the finished attic. The home was purchased and renovated in 1937 by Olivia Herbert, who donated the property to the Augusta Art Club (renamed the Gertrude Herbet Memorial Institute of Art), which still owns the property. The exterior of the house has fallen into disrepair.