With her intuitive and intentional approach to design, Shayelyn Woodbery creates spaces that are unique to each client and project. See some of her work in the upcoming “Home for the Holidays Showhouse,” Nov. 16 through Dec. 10.
Designer & company: Woodbery, an Atlanta native, graduated from the University of Georgia. Before starting Shayelyn Woodbery Interiors in 2010, the self-taught designer was a partner in Penna Design, a residential design firm in Atlanta.
First design job: An interior refresh for a next-door neighbor.
Design pet peeves: Art that is hung to high; poor drapery, ceiling fans; and when things are too perfect or all new.
Current design obsessions: Energetically balanced and aligned spaces; black paint; Asian influences; Porter Teleo wall coverings. Also Southern artists Blayne McCauley and William McClure.
New (or re-emerging) designs I like: Brass and wallpaper.
… and designs I am glad to see go: I’ve learned that sometimes the “wrong” thing in the “right” spot can be perfect.
Unusual request from a client: To incorporate a treasured, life-size, carousel horse into the design plan.
Fun (or unusual) space I have designed: Using dead space under a rear entry staircase for a custom dog room.
Biggest design mistake I have made: Not confirming the size of the freight elevator for a high-rise project and having to have my upholsterer take the arms and legs off of a custom sofa to get it up to the unit. And then reupholstering it on site.
… design mistake homeowners make: Ineffective use of space. Also inappropriate or unvaried scale of furniture in a room.
- Blogs/websites: Old Brand New; Becki Owens; Charish; Viyet; 1stdibs; and One Kings Lane.
- Instagram: Elle Décor; Consort Design; Belle Magazine (Australia); Christaine Lemieux; Dixon Rye; Botanicaetcetera; Ray Booth; All of Renders; House of Honey; and Meyer Davis.
- Atlanta area home stores: B.D. Jeffries; Bungalow Classic; Westside Modern; Max & Company; Parc Monceau; and Mathews Furniture + Design.
- Places for unexpected finds: Flair New York. In Atlanta: Tom Robinson Modern; Decades Antiques & Vintage; and Antiques & Beyond.
- Recent project(s): Interior re-design of a charming historic home off Peachtree Battle; an interior and exterior renovation of a ’70s ranch in Sandy Springs; and complete home renovation in Vinings. Also a vignette in the 11th installment of “Behind the Windows” series (through February 2018) at the Atlanta Decorative Arts Center.
- Up next: New construction for empty nesters in Windermere, Florida; home renovation for empty nesters in Sandy Springs; and the keeping room in the upcoming Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles “Home for the Holidays” showhouse.
Find Shayelyn Woodbury at:
- Website: shayelyn.com
- Facebook: Shayelyn Woodbery Interiors
- Instagram: shayelyn_woodbery
Home for the Holidays Showhouse
10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday-Saturday; 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Nov. 16-Dec. 10 (closed Thanksgiving Day). $30. atlantaholidayhome.com.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.