Two weeks after the alleged attack, police arrested and questioned two brothers they suspected were responsible for the beating. On Feb. 16, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the trajectory of the case had "shifted" — that the two brothers had been released without charges and investigators wanted to speak to Smollett again, the Associated Press reported. On Sunday, Guglielmi issued a statement saying police "are not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what's been unofficially released."
But Monday, ABC News reported the two brothers told police Smollett staged the attack on himself, because he was upset a threatening letter he received in mid-January did not get enough attention.
Police are now investigating a tip that Smollett was seen in an elevator with the two brothers on the night he says he was attacked, the new station reported. Guglielmi said the person who sent in the tip lives in the building or was visiting someone there, and reported seeing the three together.
Social media reaction was not as supportive since more details have come out.
“Empire” returns for the remainder of its fifth season on March 13.
MORE: AJC interview with Jussie Smollett
» Jussie Smollett attack developments leave some baffled, others outraged
» Police say they are investigating if 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett made up attack
» Chicago police, Fox dispute reports about Jussie Smollett attack
» Celebrities tweet support to 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett after brutal attack
» 'I'm OK': 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett releases first statement after attack