Men charged in raid that led to officer’s death released on bond

Men charged in raid that led to officer’s death released on bond

Two men charged in connection with the raid that preceded the death of a Riverdale police officer have been released on bond, Channel 2 Action News reported.

Maj. Greg Barney was killed Thursday morning, allegedly shot by a man evading a no-knock search warrant being served at an apartment complex across the street from the Riverdale Police Department. The man accused of shooting him, Jerand Edward Ross, was also wounded and remained hospitalized Friday. He has been charged with murder.

On Saturday, Channel 2 reported that two more men had been arrested in connection with the raid — and subsequently released on bond.

The station reported that 26-year-old Joey Cartrell King Jr., who was charged with drug offenses and possession a weapon during the commission of a crime, was released on a $30,300 bond. Clayton County jail records show King, a Stockbridge resident, was released at 8:15 p.m. Friday, about 24 hours after his arrest.

The station also reported that 25-year-old Robert Dixon Jr., who was charged with three drug offenses in connection with the raid, was released on a $22,600 bond. Clayton County jail records show Dixon, a Riverdale resident, was released just before 1 a.m. Saturday.

A court official reportedly told Channel 2 that the part-time judge who granted King and Dixon’s bonds was not informed their charges were related to the raid that led to Barney’s death.

Inquiries sent to the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office, the Clayton County District Attorney’s Office and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation were not immediately returned Saturday. A Clayton County police spokeswoman said she could not confirm King and Dixon’s arrests were connected to the raid.

Barney was shot twice in the torso during a Thursday morning raid at the Villages on the River apartment complex. He was among several Riverdale police officers backing up the Clayton County Police Department’s narcotics unit’s service of a no-knock warrant.

According to information released by the GBI, Ross ran out the back of an apartment and made it about 200 feet before encountering Barney. Ross fired, hitting Barney, before a Clayton County officer returned fire.

Barney, a 25-year veteran of force and father to twin 15-year-old sons, was not wearing a bulletproof vest during the raid. He later died at Southern Regional Medical Center.

—Please return to for updates.

Weather and Traffic