1. Capt. Mike Dolphin Tours. In addition to spotting scores of dolphins frolicking in the sea, guests get a great view of Cockspur Beacon, a lighthouse built in 1855 on land slowly being claimed by the ocean. $15; $8 children 12 and younger. Reservations recommended. Dogs with proof of current rabies vaccination permitted. Lazaretto Creek Marina, 180 Old Tybee Road, Tybee Island. 912-786-5848.
2. Georgia Sea Turtle Center. Visitors can observe small exhibits of marine creatures in fish tanks as well as marine biologists and technicians providing care for rescued sea turtles undergoing rehabilitation. $7, $6 seniors 62 and older, $5 children ages 4-12, free for children 3 and younger. 214 Stable Road, Jekyll Island. 912-635-4444.
3. Neptune Park. Located in the heart of the Pier Village on St. Simons, this waterfront park features a swimming pool with a play zone for kids, miniature golf, a playground and a paved path along the water to the pier. Golf, $8 per round; pool, $8 a day, free for children 3 and under, swim diaper required. 550 Beachview Drive, Pier Village, St. Simons Island. 912-265-0620, 912-279-3720.
4. Summer Waves Water Park. Slides, pools, fountains and more await kids of all ages seeking a cool way to beat the heat. Open May to mid-September. $19.95, $15.95 children under 48 inches, $10.95, age 60 and older, children 3 and younger free with approved swim diaper. Group rates and season passes available. 210 S. Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island. 912-635-2074.
5. Tybee Island Marine Science Center. This small facility features a dozen or so aquariums displaying a variety of turtles, fish and sea urchin, and a touch tank with sea stars, spider crabs and lightning whelks. Check the board for scheduled demonstrations and guided beach walks. $5; children 4 and younger free. Off the 14th Street parking lot, behind the pier, Tybee Island. 912-786-5917.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.