Clearwater Beach in Florida was the only U.S. destination to crack the top 25 list of best international beaches, based on 2016 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice award winners announced April 19. Grace Bay on the Caribbean island Turks and Caicos was voted the world's best beach, beating out Baia do Sancho in Brazil and Playa Paraiso in Cuba. Clearwater Beach was ranked No. 20.
A year-round destination, according to TripAdvisor, Clearwater was recognized for its "sugar fine white sand" and the increased likelihood of spotting dolphins along the Gulf shoreline. There are also a lot of shops and restaurants that line the beachfront, providing visitors plenty to do during their stay.
In total, six of the 10 best U.S. beaches are in Florida. Here are the TripAdvisor national rankings:
- Clearwater Beach — Clearwater, Fla.
- Lanikai Beach — Kailua, Hawaii
- Siesta Beach — Siesta Key, Fla.
- Saint Pete Beach — St. Pete Beach, Fla.
- Wai'anapanapa State Park — Hana, Hawaii
- Ka'anapali Beach — Lahaina, Hawaii
- Pensacola Beach — Pensacola Beach, Fla.
- La Jolla Shores — La Jolla, Calif.
- St. Augustine Beach — St. Augustine Beach, Fla.
- Beach at Panama City — Panama City Beach, Fla.
TripAdvisor also compiled lists of the world's best islands, hotels, landmarks and restaurants, among other popular destinations. The travel review website claims to have used millions of user reviews to create the rankings.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.