Known for: Classic, traditional style with a little funk.
Most every room needs: A mix of old and new pieces of furniture to give it a feeling of balance. Also texture and a living plant/flowers can help give any room life.
Design pet peeves: Rooms that look perfect.
Current design obsession(s): Always loved blue and white. Just used a Thibaut chinoiserie blue and green design in the powder bath at the Serenbe show house.
New (or re-emerging) looks I like: Color is back. Also the re-emergence of traditional styles. For the past five years or so, clients didn't want anything to do with antiques. Now they realize that antiques help make rooms feel more sophisticated.
… and designs/colors I am glad to see go: Grey and industrial.
Fun (or unusual) space: Helped design a private jet.
Biggest design mistake I have made: In the mud/laundry room at my house. Reworking the huge space to make it more efficient and practical. I wish I had thought of that earlier.
… and common mistake homeowners make: Not hiring a designer soon enough.
- Blogs or websites: Coate de Texas; Style Blueprint; The Pink Clutch; and Design Indulgence.
- Instagram: Barry Dixon; Brian Patrick Flynn; Renee Bouchon; Kelly Wearstler; Coastal Living; Southern Living; Susanna Salk; Amber Interiors; John Rosselli & Associates; Suzanne Kasler; and Ashley Stark.
- Atlanta area home/design stores: Mathews Furniture + Design; Swoox, Pryor Fine Art; and Greg Irby Gallery. Duralee; Beau Studio; Stark Carpet; Renaissance Tile & Bath; and Schumacher at the Atlanta Decorative Arts Center (ADAC). Also Max & Company and Scott Antique Market.
- Places for unexpected finds: Goodwill, estate sales and consignment shops.
- Current project(s): Finishing up a brownstone, which was gutted, in Brooklyn. Also two homes in Atlanta.
- Up next: A Frank Lloyd Wright style house in Cashiers, North Carolina.
Find Jena Salmon at:
· Website: Jenasalmon.com
· Facebook: Jena Salmon Designs
· Instagram: Jena Salmon
2017 Serenbe Designer Showhouse: The Manor at Mado
Thursday-Sunday, through Oct. 8.
Tickets and information at serenbe.com