As seen in: House Beautiful, Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles, Modern Luxury Interiors, Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen + Bath Makeovers and Atlanta Magazine.
Quick fix for a room: Adding statement art, drapery and accessories.
Every room needs: Pieces you love. "I tell clients that if you do not love it, we will not use it. Successful rooms are built on all the individual pieces that speak to you."
Design pet peeves: When clients try to design for "resale." Unless you plan to move out that year, design for your enjoyment and your life.
Current design obsession: Wallpaper, especially the designs from Lindsay Cowles and Emma Hayes.
New (or re-emerging) designs I like: New furniture pieces with a '70s vibe.
… and looks I am glad to see go: The "Everything Gray, Everything Reclaimed Wood, Industrial look."
Most unusual request: See a new client's home before they did. A potential client, who was living overseas with his family, called and asked me to accompany the Realtor to the historic home they were buying in Atlanta.
Fun spaces I have designed: My son's room. It was fun to work with my son (now 9) to make it special. He was also able to see what "mommy does."
Biggest design mistake I have made: Allowing friends to be clients.
… Biggest (or common) mistake homeowners make: Not trusting your designer. You hired that person for a reason.
- Blogs & websites: Chairish; JF Chen; and Blackman Cruz.
- Instagram: Many, including: Paul Plus Atlanta; Edit and Style; Mali Azima; Kelly Wearstler; and 1stdibs.
- Atlanta home/design stores: Bungalow Classic; Steve McKenzie's; Dixon Rye; and Stanton Home Furnishings.
- Places for unexpected finds in the Atlanta area: Westside Market; Antique Factory; My Favorite Place Flea Market; and Antiques & Beyond.
- My home design style: Bold and colorful.
- Household issues I am particular about: Unmade beds and cluttered kitchen countertops.
- Favorite pieces in my house: The Turkish rugs and fabric that my husband and I bought on our anniversary trip; mid-century lamps; and a Le Corbusier cowhide chaise lounge.
- What I collect (or can't stop buying): Antique African currency; any cool wood objects; quartz crystals; and original artwork.
- Favorite spaces in my house: We finished building our dream home in Peachtree Corners last year. I love the whole house, but the dining room is a favorite. I had a painting turned into wallpaper for the room. It has all these beautiful shades of green.
Back to work
- Recent projects: Interior renovations and model furnishings for the Post Riverside, Post Brookhaven, Post Glen leasing center and the new Post Alexander clubroom In Atlanta. Also Cevian Design Lab, a Georgia architectural and design firm in Rome; and Berry College offices and dormitories, Blackstone Theater, and Oak Hill Pavilion.
- Up next: An historical home with contemporary flair in Buckhead and two entire home design projects: one for a family in Atlanta, and the other, for a couple in Ohio. Also selecting new furnishings for three model homes in the new Post Midtown, Atlanta tower.
Find K Kong Designs at:
• Website : kkongdesigns.com
• Facebook : KKongDesigns
• Instagram: kkongdesigns