Atlanta Symphony New Year's Eve
The Atlanta Symphony has chosen a Gershwin soundtrack for its audience on the last night of 2013. Guest conductor Jack Everly will lead the Atlanta Symphony in a concert featuring the the music of George and Ira Gershwin. With vocalist Judy McLane and pianist Michael Chertock. 8 p.m. Dec. 31. $31-$69. Atlanta Symphony Hall, 1280 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta. 404-733-5000, www.atlantasymphony.org.
The Holiday Light Spectacular Gift of Lights at Atlanta Motor Speedway
Drive through the speedway, including part of the track where the big boys drive, to see more than a million holiday lights. Visitors can stop at the Christmas Village which is set up at the Atlanta Motor Speedway gift shop Friday and Saturday nights. It will include the official Atlanta Motor Speedway Christmas Tree, a Christmas tree farm, photo opportunities with Santa and hot cocoa and cider. There will be various theme nights that can win you discounts, such as donations to Toys for Tots, and special events, such as a foot chase and car displays. Through Jan 4. Hours 6 to 9 p.m. Sundays-Thursdays; 6 to 10 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and holidays. $15 per car, $20 on Fridays, Sundays and holidays. 1500 Tara Place, Hampton. www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
Day Trip: New Year's Eve at Callaway Gardens
The garden resort is throwing a holiday party that includes dinner, dancing and music by Kidd Blue. With a pre-dinner reception, and a balloon drop and champagne toast at midnight. Overnight packages are also available. Callaway Gardens. 17800 U.S. 27, Pine Mountain. 1-800-225-5292, www.callawaygardens.com.
Peach Drop at Underground Atlanta with Headliner Janelle Monae. 1 a.m.-3 a.m. Dec. 31. Free. Underground Atlanta, 50 Upper Alabama St., Atlanta 404-523-2311, www.peachdrop.com.
New Year's Eve on the Square
- The Historic Lawrenceville Square will ring in the New Year 7:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Dec. 31 with live music, dancing, kid’s zone, vendors and fireworks. Reservations available for tables of six by calling 678-226-2639 or www.visitlawrenceville.com.
- Duluth New Year's Eve Celebration combines several celebrations in one. It is a winter carnival, a football-watching party for the Chick-fil-a Bowl and a noisy welcome to 2014. Duluth will greet the new year with fireworks. Duluth Town Green, 3142 Hill St. NW, Duluth. www.duluthga.net.
For the Kids: Daytime New Year's Eve
A number of locations are celebrating a version of "Noon Year's Eve," a kid-focused celebration that happens during daylight. Here are three that caught our eye:
- Noon Year's Eve: City of Smyrna and Radio Disney Event. 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Dec. 31. Details
- Noon Year's Eve at the Atlanta Children's Museum. 11:30 a.m. Dec. 31. Details.
- Noon Year's Eve at Legoland in Phipps Plaza. Balloon Drop at Noon Dec. 31. Details.
The Purple Experience at 37 Main in Duluth. 8 p.m. Dec. 31. $25; $150 reserved table. 37 Main, 37 E. Main St., Buford. 678-288-2030, www.37main.com.
The Jagged Stones at the Earl Smith Strand Theatre. 9 p.m. Dec. 31. $35 advance; $40 the week of the show. Earl Smith Strand Theatre, 117 N. Park Square, Marietta. 770-293-0080, www.earlsmithstrand.org.
NYE in the ATL at Crowne Plaza Atlanta Perimeter at Ravinia. 8 p.m.-3 a.m. Dec. 31. $60-$100. Crowne Plaza Hotel Atlanta Perimeter at Ravinia, 4355 Ashford Dunwoody Road N.E., Atlanta. www.nyeintheatl.com.
Countdown Atlanta - New Year’s Eve Party at Hyatt Regency Atlanta. 8:30 p.m.-2 a.m. Dec. 31. $119-$200; group pricing available. Hyatt Regency Atlanta, 265 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, downtowncountdownatlanta.missiontix.com
More New Year's Eve events and ideas
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.