"I took matters into my own hands to make 'Kiss Me Thru The Phone,' my second single," Soulja Boy says in a recent interview. "I sent a blast out to over one million people on SayNow -- that's my phone number 678-999-8212, and right now I'm at over 2.3 million subscribers." (Saynow.com allows music fans to call a direct number to receive updates or leave messages for a specific artists.)
"I took 'Kiss Me Thru The Phone' to those million subscribers," he says. "They said they liked it. And I said, 'Well, request it on the radio!' "
Here are Seven Signs Soulja Boy Is Not A One-Hit Wonder:
• "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" has been atop Billboard's Hot RingMasters chart for weeks. It's No. 4 among the Hot 100 pop tracks, and was just knocked from the No. 1 Rap Tracks listing to No. 2 this week.
• Follow-up single "Turn My Swag On" has been tagged "Greatest Gainer" on the Rap Tracks chart, where it shares the Top 10 with "Kiss" at No. 7.
• Atlanta director Mr. Boston shot the video for "Gucci Bandana," featuring Atlanta rappers Gucci Mane and Shawty Low. "When I was shooting this video, says Soulja Boy, "it all kicked in. Like, [here] I was riding in the Lamborghini. [I've] got my favorite rapper in the passenger seat, who I've been listening to since I was 12 years old. And all of these people -- like 2000 people -- showed up [at Coan Park]."
• R&B superstar Usher invited him to record on a single. "We had a good session. And I think we [recorded] a hit that's going to sell the album," Soulja Boy says.
• He's been asked to work on a video game for Xbox 360 and PS3. He has his own shoe line in Finish Line stores nationwide.
• He can still stir up a controversy. About 10 students at University of Minnesota Duluth protested outside his concert, saying his lyrics degrade women. It was reportedly the first ever sold-out show in the campus gym's history. "I respect women," Soulja Boy says.
• "Crank That" wasn't the last hit before "Kiss." "Souljaboytellem.com" singles "Soulja Girl," "Donk" and "YAHHH!" all made it to at least the Top 25 of a Billboard chart.