Originally posted Friday, May 24, 2019 by RODNEY HOemail@example.com on his AJC Radio & TV Talk blog
Summertime means trips to the pool, picnics at the local park and sips of iced tea on the porch. And in Atlanta starting June 15, slime. Lots and lots of slime.
Dubbed “Nickelodeon Slime City,” the pop-up experience will be located at the Buckhead shopping district where Disco Kroger is based off Piedmont Road.
The 20,000 square-foot installation, which will run through September, will enable visitors of all ages to create the special gooey green mixture and get slimed themselves.
“Our iconic slime is the ultimate symbol of free-spirited mess and the physical embodiment of the fun and irreverent spirit of Nickelodeon,” said Sharon Cohen, executive vice president of The Nick Experience.
This is the first pop-up experience Nickelodeon has ever designed. If successful, it may replicate it in other cities in the future.
The kids cable channel Nickelodeon defined itself in the 1980s with slime, courtesy of its sketch comedy show “You Can’t Do That on TV.” Although the show eventually disappeared, the slime remains a signature part of its annual Kids Choice Awards.
Tickets are available at www.NickSlimeCity.com. Through June 14 , tickets can be purchased at a discounted rate of 25 for admission June 15 to 29. Otherwise, it’s $29 per person. (There is a $20 special preview day June 14.) Children under 2 will get in free.
“Slime City” will feature multiple interaction spaces such as:
- Slime HQ – Spin wheels, turn levers and touch slime to keep the gallons of green goodness pumping through the pipes and tubes.
- Great Wall of Slime – Visitors are invited to leave their mark and make an impression on the giant pin wall to create awesome slime shapes and silhouettes.
- Slime-Tennial Park – Paying homage to Atlanta’s famous Centennial Olympic Park, visitors can take a spin or a swing on an exciting slime-inspired playground.
- Slime Bubble-Torium – In this slime bubble-filled world, guests can burst goopy green bubbles.
- Slime Central – It’s slime time, where visitors receive Nickelodeon’s ultimate honor of being slimed
Stating the obvious, don’t bring your nicest clothing and a change of clothing is recommended for the return trip home.
IF YOU GO
Nickelodeon Slime City
3330 Piedmont Road Northeast
$29 per person, $25 for June 15-29 if purchased by June 14
Saturday - 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday - 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday – 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Monday and Tuesday – Closed
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.