Hurricane Irma has come and gone, causing serious damage to much of Florida and many parts of Georgia.
Atlanta-based non-profit The Giving Kitchen -- the charitable arm of much-lauded Edgewood restaurant Staplehouse -- has started the Hurricane Irma Emergency Assistance Fund to assist those in the restaurant industry impacted by the storm.
The fund was created in addition to the organization's normal crisis grant coverage area, which spans 40 counties, to include those in the entire state of Georgia.
Grants of $500 will be given to those who qualify, including those who were left homeless due to their home sustaining damage from the storm; anyone injured due to the storm and unable to work for a week or more; or those whose ability to work was impacted by a mandatory evacuation and is facing a financial hardship.
Here are some other ways to assist victims of Irma and Hurrican Harvey:
- Through Oct. 8, $1 from every Grand Patrón margarita at any Tin Lizzy’s Cantina location will be donated to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Harvey and Irma relief.
- Through Sept. 30, participating Zoe’s Kitchen locations are accepting donations at checkout for the American Red Cross hurricane relief efforts, and guests who donate will receive $3 off their next purchase. Zoe’s will also match a portion of the donations.
- On Oct. 5, Johnny's Hideaway is hosting a benefit for those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. For every Maker's Mark drink purchased that evening (from 8 p.m. to close), $3 will be donated to the USBG Bartender Emergency Assistance Program, a special fund established to help those in the service industry suffering hardship due to the storms.
- Donate to the Atlanta Community Food Bank
- Attend a Hurricane Irma relief concert at City Winery
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.