- All sand lawn draws complaints from neighbors
- Video goes viral after U.S. Air refuses to let musicians on plane
- Dog diarrhea on cross-country flight forces emergency landing
- Deaf valedictorian delivers inspirational speech
- Amazing photos of bear lounging in backyard hammock
It was a terrifying scene for parents in Littleton, Colorado, as two young children were injured when strong winds caused a bounce house to roll across a field.
"A strong gust of wind picked up this castle in Colorado, carrying it 300 feet. It's just tossing it around like it's a small balloon." (Via KRIV)
"Me and one of the defenders looked over, and we saw the wind pick up."
"And then all of a sudden it picks up, and there's a girl going down the slide. She flies out about 8 feet in the air." (Via KUSA)
According to HLN, a 10-year-old girl was thrown out immediately, but a 10-year-old boy remained inside the ride while it tumbled some 200 to 300 feet into a lacrosse field.
Both children are reportedly recovering from minor injuries. But witnesses feared it could have been much worse had the ride landed on any of the lacrosse players or if the boy had fallen out so high in the air.
This, of course, isn't the first time this has happened.
"Last month you may recall in New York state a powerful gust launched a bounce house 50 feet in the air. Two kids were seriously hurt in that accident." (Via CBS)
And bounce house safety has been an ongoing problem in recent years.
A study by the Nationwide Children's Hospital found emergency rooms treated 31 children for bounce house-related injuries daily in 2010. (Via Nationwide Children's Hospital)
Similarly, following a string of bounce house incidents, Jim Barber, a spokesman for the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials, told USA Today in 2011: "I wish this was a rarity, but it's not. … These are probably the most dangerous amusement devices they have."
For its part, the company that set up the Colorado bounce house says it was properly staked and safety precautions were taken. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating the incident.