A downtown Atlanta homeless shelter that has been a point of contention within the city will finally shut its doors.

Peachtree-Pine will close Aug. 28 after several attempts to shut down the building for the past few years, Channel 2 Action News reported.

Non-profit organization Central Atlantic Progress reached an agreement Wednesday to purchase the shelter and plans to work with the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless to help residents, Channel 2 Action News reported.

Jack Hardin, co-chair of the United Way’s Regional Commission on Homelessness, told the news station it may take a while to figure out where residents will be placed. Hardin said social workers will assess the needs of each resident.

“I think this is going to be a good thing for the people,” he said. “I’m delighted that the warring parties have buried their hatchets.”

City officials have tried to close the shelter after three separate tuberculosis outbreaks, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution previously reported.

The shelter has also been connected to deadly shootings. In 2015, a man was shot and killed during an argument at a club near the shelter. Another man was shot multiple times in a similar instance near the shelter in May 2016.

More information on the shelter’s closing is available on MyAJC.com 

In other news: 

Fitness Model Killed in Freak Whipped Cream Accident

About the Author

Keep Reading

The incident happened on Crandon Court in Henry County, officials said. (GBI)

Credit: GBI

Featured

An aerial view captures a large area under construction for a new data center campus on Thursday, May 29, 2025. Developed by QTS, the data center campus near Fayetteville is one of the largest under construction in Georgia. (Miguel Martinez/AJC)

Credit: Miguel Martinez-Jimenez