- Detroit man walks 21 miles to work each day
- Report: Bobbi Kristina Brown, daughter of Whitney Houston, in medically induced coma
- 16-foot, 3,500-pound shark heading toward Florida
- Police: Man charged after trying to circumcise nephew with kitchen knife
- Man finds moving goodbye note from wife of 60 years
Toxic shock syndrome caused by a rare skin bacteria sent Teri Roberts into a coma. With her limbs dying and organs shutting down, her husband and son decided it was time to let her die.
Son Ryan Roberts told the Omaha World-Herald it was only days before Christmas when Teri woke up “four hours before we took her off life-support."
Teri told her family she didn’t want to die despite being told her hands and feet would be amputated. Teri’s husband “held up her hands so she could see them, and she shrugged and said, 'OK,'" Ryan told the paper.
Teri rallied as her organs improved, and the limbs were removed. She’s scheduled to leave the hospital this week and plans to be fitted with prosthetics soon.
The past few years have been a battle for Roberts. In August of 2013, her daughter Andrea Kruger was murdered.
With limited health insurance, the family came forward with the story this week and set up a GoFundMe page for Teri, and tens of thousands of dollars were raised in a short time.
KETV reports doctors aren’t sure how she contracted the bacteria.