When tens of thousands runners hit the road for the AJC Peachtree Road Race Fourth of July, it will be wise to keep your car off the street.
The major annual event requires numerous road closures, and parking could be tough to find. Public transportation is a smart way to go.
As such, MARTA will provide extra trains, shuttle buses and staff on July 4. If you’re taking the train, the gold line is the best way to reach the race start location near Lenox Station.
Here’s how to get to Lenox Station from all lines.
• If you’re coming from the north, on the red line: Take a train heading to Airport Station. Get off at Lindbergh Center Station. Take the gold line to Lenox Station, or take one of the provided non-stop shuttle buses beginning at 5 a.m. from Lindbergh Center Station (board at Morosgo Drive) to the Lenox Road exit via Ga. 400.
• If you’re coming from the north, on the gold line: Take a train heading to Airport Station. Get off at Lenox Station.
• If you’re coming from the south: Take the gold line to Lenox Station.
• If you’re coming from the west: Take the green line heading toward Edgewood/Candler Park or the blue line heading towards Indian Creek. Get off at Five Points and transfer to a gold line train heading to Doraville. Get off at Lenox Station.
• If you’re coming from the east: Take either the green line heading toward Bankhead or the blue line heading towards Hamilton E. Holmes. Get off at Five Points and transfer to the gold line heading to Doraville. Get off at Lenox Station.
Returning from the AJC Peachtree Road Race
For the first time, AJC Peachtree Road Race participants will have a bit of a short cut on MARTA post-race. The Atlanta Track Club will provide a number of shuttle buses to Lindbergh MARTA station from the race. Come prepared with a Breeze Card.
Here’s what else you should know.
• At 4:30 a.m., trains will run from North Springs to Midtown on the Red Line and from Doraville to Lindbergh on the Gold Line. Full service begins on all lines 15 minutes later.
• Extra trains will shuttle back and forth between Lindbergh and Lenox stations in a loop before the race. More trains will be on standby if needed.
• At 6 a.m., the south end of Buckhead Station will close for the race. Use the pedestrian bridge exit on the north end of the platform and walk to the starting area near the Lenox Road/Buckhead Loop.
• Trains will arrive every six minutes between Lindbergh and Airport Station until the end of service. They will arrive every 12 minutes at other stations.
• If you’re using MARTA to watch the evening fireworks at International Plaza, exit at the Dome Station
• All bus operations begin at 4:08 a.m.
• Bus shuttles will run from Lindbergh to Lenox beginning at 5 a.m. with frequent departures.
• The following bus routes will be re-routed: 5, 12, 14, 25, 27, 36, 37, 39, 40, and 110. See the modified routes here.
• Additional buses will be staged near the race and pulled into service as needed.
• MARTA Mobility buses will transport wheelchair athletes to and from Lenox.
• See more information here.