Quick fix for a room: Paint, of course. Biggest impact for your buck.
Most important element in a room: Good light, which can make a room feel calm, inspired or however you like to feel at home.
Design pet peeves: Faux antiques that are clearly not old.
An Atlanta native, designer Kate Hayes brings something original and often unconventional to a space. Contributed by Mikael Kennedy
Current design obsession(s): Anything perforated, like metal on lighting which can look elegant and industrial; Maximalist design; and sculptural furniture, like some Memphis-style shapes coming back.
New (or re-emerging) designs I like: Texture and pattern, such as wallpaper, bold prints and velvets. It is an art, though, to know where use it. It can't all shout or the room will overwhelm the senses.
… and designs/looks I am glad to see go: Dark wood furniture from the early 2000s.
Fun spaces (or unusual) I have designed: Loft spaces in Atlanta and Brooklyn. And, most recently, a doggie shower as part of a new build on the west side.
Biggest design mistake I have made: Being too optimistic about time and when things will be done. I have learned my lesson.
… and common mistake homeowners make: Buying the wrong scale furniture.
- Blogs or websites: ruemag.com; lonny.com; and designsponge.com. Also stylebyemilyhenderson.com.
- Instagram: workstead; amberinteriors; jhinteriordesign (jessica helgerson); communedesign; and studioashby
- Atlanta area home/design stores: Design Within Reach; Bungalow Classic; Westside Modern Atlanta; City Issue; Decades Antiques & Vintage; and Antiques & Beyond.
- Places unexpected finds: Etsy.com, chairish.com, and 1stdibs.com. Also madeindesign.co.uk.
- Recent project (s): A modernist home near the Tara movie theater; a chic condominium at One Museum Place across from the High Museum of Art; and a new build bungalow on the west side.
- Up next: Upcoming Atlanta Design Festival's Modern Style show house (one of two) in the Old Fourth Ward; an overhaul of a charming tutor house in Morningside; and a small bungalow in Inman Park.
Find Kate Hayes Design at:
• Website: katehayesdesign.com
• Facebook: kate hayes design
• Instagram: @katehayesdesign