Originally posted Wednesday, February 20, 2019 by RODNEY HOfirstname.lastname@example.org on his AJC Radio & TV Talk blog
Update: Congressman John Lewis introduced the film “Green Book” Sunday at the Academy Awards. He received a standing ovation when he took the stage.
Civil rights legend and Georgia Rep. John Lewis will introduce one of the eight best picture nominees this Sunday at the Academy Awards airing on ABC.
The press release didn’t identify which film he’ll introduce but it will likely be “Green Book,” since that was set in the South during the early 1960s and addresses black-white relationships at the time. UPDATE: He was joined by “The Hate U Give” star Amandla Stenberg.
Others scheduled to do best picture introductions and my guesses on what films they will each highlight:
- Chef José Andrés and actor Diego Luna, probably for “Roma”
- Actors Mike Myers and Dana Carvey, probably for “Bohemian Rhapsody” given how that song became popular again after 1992’s “Wayne’s World”
- Actress/singer Barbra Streisand, probably for “A Star is Born” since she starred in a previous version from 1976 (UPDATE: Whoops. She actually introduced “The BlacKkKlansman.” Go figure!) Serena Williams ended up introducing “A Star is Born.”
- Talk show host Trevor Noah, probably for “Black Panther” since he’s from South Africa
- Rage Against the Machine singer Tom Morello, probably for “Vice” given how vehement he was against the Iraq War from the very beginning
- UPDATE: Queen Latifah ultimately introduced the period piece about a queen called “The Favourite.”
Atlanta media mogul Tyler Perry will also be one of the presenters, as will “Walking Dead” and “Black Panther” star Danai Gurira and “Atlanta” star Brian Tyree Henry.
LISTEN: Celebrating Black History Month
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.