BY MELISSA RUGGIERI/AJC Music Scene
Kenny Chesney returns to Atlanta this weekend for his first appearance since a 2015 concert at the Georgia Dome.
His “Trip Around the Sun” tour marks Chesney’s debut at Mercedes-Benz Stadium — obviously — where venue brass has made significant efforts to improve the sound since October’s inaugural concert, a less-than-optimal audio experience at Garth Brooks’ stadium christening.
The venue will be configured for about 50,000 fans, and MBS officials expect a close to full house. There are tickets still available, $45-$250, via ticketmaster.com.
If you plan to experience the show on Saturday — which also features Georgia native Thomas Rhett, Old Dominion and Brandon Lay — here are some tips to make your day easier.
- Doors open at 4 p.m. The concert begins at 5 p.m.
- Those holding tickets for the floor or Sandbar area (Sections A-L) should use Gate 1 to enter and receive a floor access wristband. If you need to visit the box office/will call, it is near Gate 1 and opens at 10 a.m.
- Fans can use mobile ticketing to enter the stadium; download the Mercedes-Benz Stadium app and link it with your Ticketmaster account.
- If you plan to drive, parking is available for pre-purchase at parking.mercedesbenzstadium.com. Prices range from $12-$57 (and $114 for Marshalling Yard, which has limited trailer, bus and RV space available). Parking lots will open at 11 a.m.
- MARTA riders should take the train to the GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Center Station or the Vine City stop (both on the blue/green line) for the most convenient access to the stadium.
- As with all events at MBS, the clear bag policy will be enforced: bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 by 6 by 12 inches; a Ziploc bag or similar; or small clutch bags, no larger than 4.5 by 6.5 inches, with or without a handle or strap.
- There is no smoking allowed inside or outside the stadium.
- Food, of course, is located throughout the venue. But if you’re unfamiliar with the venue’s Fan First Pricing, make sure to check out the special-priced menus that include $2 sodas (refillable), water, popcorn, hot dogs and pretzels and $3 slices of pizza, cheese nachos and waffle fries. Other food options include Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, Delia’s Chicken Sausage, Jim ‘N Nicks Bar-B-Q, the Varsity and Chick-fil-A.