Several products from metro Atlanta producers are in the running for a statewide food award.
33 products were selected as finalists for the University of Georgia’s 2018 Flavor of Georgia Food Product Contest set for March 20 in Atlanta. The final round of judging will be held in conjunction with the Georgia Department of Agriculture's Agriculture Awareness Week celebration March 19-23.
The annual contest, held since 2007, showcases tasty, innovative, market-ready prototypes or commercially available food products made by Georgia-based businesses.
The finalists were selected from a field of 126 products in 11 categories.
Judges will include food brokers, grocery buyers and other food industry experts, and entries will be evaluated based on Georgia theme, commercial appeal, taste, innovation and market potential. Winners will be chosen in each category, with a grand prize winner and People’s Choice Award winner also chosen.
Metro Atlanta finalists include Olympus Greek Mountain Teas in Lawrenceville; The Sauce Company Inc. in Lilburn; Built By Bees and Honeysuckle Gelato in Atlanta , A&A Alta Cucina Italia in Johns Creek; CalyRoad Creamery and High Cotton Company in Sandy Springs; Emily G’s in Dunwoody ; Pride Road in Smyrna; Fairywood Thicket Farm in Fairburn ; and Pine Street Market in Avondale Estates.
The full list of finalists include:
- Jamaica Me Sweat Soppin’ Sauce, Two Fat Chile Cats, Savannah
- Original BBQ Sauce, The GrillMan BBQ Company, Cumming
- Sorta White BBQ Sauce, Lane’s BBQ, Bethlehem
- Blueberry Citrus Tea, Olympus Greek Mountain Teas, Lawrenceville
- Ginger’s Bunkhouse Spicy Ginger Ale, Bunkhouse Beverages, Athens
- Magnolia Green Tea, Biron Herbal Teas, Macon
Condiments and Salsas:
- Georgia Gourmet Tomato Ketchup, The Sauce Company Inc., Lilburn
- Sourwood (Honey) Balsamic Vinegar, Built By Bees, Atlanta
- Vidalia Onion & Balsamic Vinegar Jam, A&A Alta Cucina Italia, Johns Creek
- Brown Butter Crunch Gelato, Honeysuckle Gelato, Atlanta
- Georgia Pecan Bar, Bread and Butter Bakery, Covington
- Pecan Sandie, Watanut, Augusta
- BlackRock Cheese, CalyRoad Creamery, Sandy Springs
- Feta Cheese, Bootleg Farm, Springfield
- New World Chocolate Milk, Rock House Creamery, Newborn
Honey and Related Products:
- Creamed Honey, H.L. Franklin’s Healthy Honey, Statesboro
- Gourmet Vanilla Infused Honey Pot, Built By Bees, Atlanta
- Southern Sriracha Spicy Honey, Bear Hug Honey Company, Athens
Jams and Jellies:
- Datil Peach Marmalade, Emily G’s, Dunwoody
- Hibiscus Jelly, Pride Road, Smyrna
- Wild Elderberry Pepper Jelly, Fairywood Thicket Farm, Fairburn
Meats and Seafood:
- Applewood Smoked Bacon, Pine Street Market, Avondale Estates
- Grassfed Beecon Grind, White Oak Pastures, Bluffton
- The Georgia Pie, Pouch Pies, Athens
- Honey Cinnamon Pecan Butter, Goodson Pecans, Leesburg
- Laynee’s Walnut Butter, LWB, Cumming
- Savory Pimento Cheese Cheesecake, Honey Catering, Millen
Sauces and Seasonings:
- BBQ Rub, Joe Kem’s BBQ, Moultrie
- Cajeta, Bootleg Farm, Springfield
- Lane’s Qnami Rub, Lane’s BBQ, Bethlehem
- Georgia Fried Peanuts, Georgia Fried Peanut Company, Edison
- Signature Champagne Pecans, Pearson Farm, Fort Valley
- Sugar and Spice Cashews, High Cotton Company, Sandy Springs
The Flavor of Georgia Food Product Contest is organized by the UGA CAES Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.