Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed on Monday limited the hours of non-emergency  construction in the area near Interstate 85 while work is ongoing to rebuild a stretch of the road damaged by fire late last month.

Construction in the area is temporarily prohibited between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday from downtown Atlanta to the city limits on the north. The prohibited area also extends east to Moreland Avenue and west to Northside Drive.

The city said it would not accept new construction permits before April 17 to “further mitigate the impact of construction activity on traffic congestion.”

The March 30 blaze in a section of I-85 in Buckhead has shut down a major thoroughfare for metro Atlantans and has sent motorists scrambling for alternative routes, including city streets. Transportation officials hope to reopen the damaged bridge span by June 15. 

“Temporarily suspending construction activities during reconstruction of Interstate 85 makes sense and is the right decision to help ease traffic congestion,” Reed said in a statement. “While our partners at GDOT do the essential work of rebuilding the I-85 bridge, we are taking multiple measures to ensure people can make it to work or school on time, and can enjoy their time in our city.”

About the Author

Keep Reading

Derek Dooley speaks at a campaign stop next to Gov. Brian Kemp, second from left, and First Lady Marty Kemp, left, at a parking lot of Dawson Hall on the University of Georgia campus before Georgia’s season football opener against Marshall, Saturday, August 30, 2025, in Athens, Ga. Kemp endorsed Republican Derek Dooley in Georgia’s 2026 U.S. Senate race. (Jason Getz / AJC)

Credit: Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com

Featured

An aerial view captures a large area under construction for a new data center campus on Thursday, May 29, 2025. Developed by QTS, the data center campus near Fayetteville is one of the largest under construction in Georgia. (Miguel Martinez/AJC)

Credit: Miguel Martinez-Jimenez