“Zach’s Mail Stack” is a weekly mailbag with SEC Country reporter Zach Abolverdi, who has covered Florida Gators recruiting since 2010. This week Abolverdi gives some early predictions on how UF coach Dan Mullen will fill out Florida’s coaching staff and 2018 class.
Class and coaches hire predictions?
— J. Ferg (@Mr_EBC) November 29, 2017
Florida’s coaching staff, support staff and recruiting class have already experienced changes under Mullen, and things will be fluid for a few more weeks.
Here are some early thoughts and predictions on how Florida’s staff and class could fill out:
- Mullen has a shot with Georgia 5-star QB commit Justin Fields, but he would have to officially visit UF and be blown away on that trip for a flip to be possible. If Fields steps foot on Florida’s campus again, all bets are off.
- If Mullen pursues Fields past this week, I think Gators QB pledge Matt Corral will re-open his recruitment. He still wants to attend Florida as of now, but that will change if he’s not a priority to the new staff.
- Mississippi State QB commit Jalen Mayden (Sachse, Texas) is also a name to watch at the position. The Elite 11 finalist is ranked the nation’s No. 13 dual-threat quarterback.
- At this time, I expect Dameon Pierce, Iverson Clement, Kyle Pitts, Dante Lang, Richard Gouraige, David Reese, Amari Burney and Randy Russell to sign with the Gators. I think it’s still to be determined with the other commits.
- On Jan. 9, 2018, every FBS college football team can hire a 10th on-field assistant coach. Mississippi State safeties coach Ron English will likely be a candidate, but Mullen could also pursue a second D-line coach or an assistant who’s strictly a special teams coordinator. Here’s how I expect Mullen’s staff to fill out before then:
Brett Elliot — Quarterbacks coach (currently at MSU)
Ja’Juan Seider — Running backs coach
Billy Gonzales — Co-OC, wide receivers coach
John Hevesy — C0-OC, centers/guards coach
Brad Davis — Tackles/tight ends coach
Chris Rumph — Defensive line coach
Todd Grantham — Defensive coordinator/linebackers coach
Tim Skipper — Outside linebackers coach/special teams coordinator
Terrell Buckley — Secondary coach/recruiting coordinator (currently at MSU)
With the hiring of Mullen, what sort of attrition would you anticipate and what sort of dark-horse recruits not on the previous coaching staffs radar could you see us landing?
— Nick (@Mr2Bits_UF) November 29, 2017
Mullen is expanding Florida’s recruiting board at QB, WR and CB, so there could be some attrition at those positions.
With Randy Shannon no longer on staff, the Gators will he at risk of losing South Florida commits Nigel Bethel, Tyquan Thornton and Divaad Wilson.
In addition to Fields, Mullen is gearing up for another run at 4-star WR Justyn Ross, Oregon DE commit Malcolm Lamar, Miami DT commit Nesta Silvera and 5-star cornerbacks Tyson Campbell and Patrick Surtain Jr.
Which decommits if any will return.
— Falcons Fury (@southlyfe_gold) November 29, 2017
The Gators have had five de-commitments during the 2018 cycle, with Jacob Copeland and Taylor Upshaw being the most recent defections.
I think those two are the only former commits who have a chance to make their way back into the class. Florida plans to visit Copeland and Upshaw later this week.
Copeland plans to wait until National Singing Day to make his final decision, so Mullen & Co. have time to make up ground. Upshaw, however, plans to be an early enrollee and will likely stick with Michigan.
The post Zach’s Mail Stack: Predictions on Florida’s class, Dan Mullen’s full staff appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.