Wilton Speight: ‘No bad blood’ after Michigan transfer decision

In his first public comments since announcing his decision to transfer from Michigan after this season, quarterback Wilton Speight insisted he harbored no ill will toward the Wolverines.

“I’ve been here for four years, and it’s just one of these feelings where it’s just time, I think, to move on,” Speight told WXYZ Detroit on Monday. 

Speight, who led Michigan to a 3-0 record this season before suffering three broken vertebrata against Purdue on Sept. 30., said his decision had nothing to do with the seemingly never-ending need for him to prove himself in quarterback competitions.

The 22-year-old was expected to battle with sophomore  Brandon Peters for the Wolverines’ starting job next season.

“There are certain things that are maybe hard to put into words. I have always been in quarterback competitions. At the bus last year, coach Harbaugh said I’m gonna be a top quarterback in all of college football this season. Then the first spring practice happened and I was splitting reps.

“It wasn’t that I’m not coming back because of the competition thing, and I think that’s what a lot of people maybe think,” Speight said. “I’ve done that. I’ve proven time and time again that I love competition, and came out on top two years in a row.”

After Speight’s injury, John O’Korn and Peters split time much of the season. Peters was sidelined with a concussion in recent weeks, pushing O’Korn into a full-time role.

Speight finished his Michigan career 257-for-437 and 22 touchdowns against 10 interceptions.

The post Wilton Speight: ‘No bad blood’ after Michigan transfer decision appeared first on Land of 10.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X