BATON ROUGE, La. — LSU football coach Ed Orgeron addressed the media Tuesday night after his Tigers took to the indoor practice facility to avoid the rain.
Orgeron talked about the biggest news surrounding LSU football, including the quarterback battle, position competitions on defense, Arden Key’s health status and more. SEC Country was on hand and typed Orgeron’s words. Scroll through to see what he said.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- We had our first competition Tuesday today. It was a very spirited practice. Sunday we watched all the tape and we made the decision to announce Danny Etling as a starting quarterback. He has handled the daily competition very well. Myles Brennan was a close second and Lowell Narcisse proved he is a very nice quarterback.
- Today was gave the scouting report on BYU. We’ll have two weeks of preparation for BYU.
- Derrius Guice was not out there. He sustained a minor injury in the scrimmage Saturday. We expect him to be back after a couple of days. Arden Key is not cleared to go yet. He saw his doctor but he’s not cleared to go yet.
- Obviously Danny is our starting quarterback. We believe in Danny. We hope he has a great year. If we have to put either Lowell or Myles in, we feel like they’ll do a good job. We want to give them some experience. But the competition was very close. We want to see what those guys can do.
- On Etling: Consistency. Knowing the offense. Performing very well. After the surgery came back he must’ve worked throughout the summer. Matt feels like he’s throwing the ball better since the operation. We want Myles and Lowell to grow at their own pace. Don’t want to rush them if they’re not ready.
- We have never prepared like Arden was going to be in the opener. I wouldn’t have been surprised. But we just didn’t know.
- It’s full-speed ahead. Guns a-blazing. Let’s roll. We want to win the game. We’re not holding back. We’re going to win the football game and give it everything we got.
- Xavier Lewis: A better football player. More consistent. A better football player. He has to be on the line of scrimmage and cover and blitz and he can do all three. [Nickel] is still up for grabs. We’re considering Kary and Grant in as starters right now. Whether there in the rotation or as starters, they’ll play for us.
- Buck: They all bring three different things to the table. It doesn’t matter who is going to start because they’re all going to be in the rotation.
- I think [Russell Gage and Derrick Dillon] are the complete package. They’ve been in the program for a while and they’ve taken to Mickey’s coaching. I think the combination of Jerry Sullivan coaching Mickey up and they’re sponging talents made them better.
- Danny is our starter. But if he goes in there and flops, I have no problem taking him out. I don’t expect that to happen, but I have no problem with that. We knew [Brennan] was going to be a good player. But he was still a freshman. Myles went through a phase where he had to get used to it. I feel like in his first scrimmage he was nervous in Tiger Stadium.
- I brought Myles in and he understood. Danny was excited. The team cheered like everything else.
- Louisiana is No. 1 to me. Anywhere in Louisiana is No. 1 to me, it doesn’t matter. We know we’ve lost some big-time players out of here and we don’t want that to happen. We joke with the running backs that we don’t have to leave Baton Rouge to get them.
- I do believe this: I think we all learned a lesson [against Wisconsin in 2016]. Never underestimate your opponent. I don’t know if we underestimated them. But we didn’t play well. We can’t let that happen again.
- Every day I come to work and have a plan. I know what I do on competition Tuesday. I know what the film and the practice ought to look like. I kind of understand what the process is.
- There’s not a lot of separation right now. Ed Ingram is going to be a great player. I’ve got no problem if he starts. No problem if Saahdiq starts. And I have no problem if Lloyd starts. All three of them. Saahdiq’s number is 77 and sometimes I think we have four 77s because he plays so many positions.
- I just wanted to say ‘Here’s our starting quarterback.’ I wanted that for the team. Those other guys, the Bs and the nickels and inside linebacker and safety and right guard; all still up for grabs.
- We’re simulating game week this week. Today has been all BYU. Friday will be a regular walk through. Saturday we’ll simulate a game against BYU. The travel squad will go against the little squad and we’ll make it walk through.
- The only thing that we’re a little disappointed in is the weather. Obviously we’d like to be practicing in the heat is and we haven’t been able to manufacture it.
- We just feel that Myles and Lowell had good camps. Justin McMillan is not out of it yet. Justin can go in the game and do well for us and we feel good about that.
- I like competition. I love it. The better competition we have, the better. I just wanted to make sure that Danny knew I believe in him. It’s important to know that the head coach and the coordinator believe in him.
The post What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said after practice Tuesday appeared first on SEC Country.