Arkansas football rules the world of Razorbacks sports. So, with your bacon, have some Hogs for Breakfast and get caught up. It’s SEC Country’s weekday column and roundup on all things Arkansas … especially Arkansas football. Opinion, numbers, inane babble and more! And now with ironic exclamation points! There is no place like it on the web.
Breaking news on the Arkansas coach and athletic director front, everyone. Arkansas has hired a search firm for each, uh, search. More on this story as it develops!
You know the best/worst part about Arkansas’ announcement that it hired Korn Ferry for its AD search and DHR International for its coach search? It’s that these decisions mean what interim athletic director Julie Cromer Peoples said Friday is moot.
Arkansas has fed her to proverbial wolves. Cromer Peoples was put in an untenable position from the word “go.” Sure, it looks like a great thing to be named interim athletic director. Great title. Something for the ol’ résumé. But when you’re interim AD at Arkansas in fall 2017, gosh, it doesn’t seem worth it.
Cromer Peoples said everything she needed to, and everything she should have, after firing coach Bret Bielema on Friday after the Missouri game. Most of us knew then, though, the words were going to come back and bite her. Arkansas was always going to hire a search firm. That’s what schools do nowadays. That’s especially what schools do when they don’t have an athletic director.
Cromer Peoples’ words were hard to believe that night. Not because of who she was. Not because she didn’t mean them. But there is a reason we have written for weeks Arkansas was trending downward. Lo and behold, look what’s happened.
Oh, and the sheer fact Arkansas couldn’t get its act together (i.e. couldn’t corral its donors) enough to not have simultaneous searches happening at the same, that’s just … woof.
Look, things have been fishy and stinky and gross in the upper echelon of University of Arkansas happenings for a while. This is just the fumes leaking out to the public.
Arkansas could jump if it doesn’t botch hire
Of course, the same could be said for Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Florida, all of which will have a new coach in 2018.
No team in the SEC, though, has the immediate possibilities the Razorbacks do in 2018. The schedule is as advantageous as it’s been in recent memory. Skill position players return in bunches. Although, that could be a bad thing if you think Arkansas’ skill position players were more harm than good in 2017.
The point, though, is that with all the moving and shaking happening in the SEC, why not Arkansas? So long as the Hogs don’t continue down the silly path they have tread so far.
- The best football player in Arkansas history has retired. Darren McFadden, a day after being cut by Dallas, has called it quits. And, no, he isn’t up for Arkansas’ vacant coaching job.
- Arkansas, apparently, has a timeline for when it wants these hires to be made. Call me incredulous.
- Missing on recruits was one of the biggest issues with the Bielema era. Whoever the next coach is, he must focus on these areas to improve the Hogs’ talent.
- Arkansas women’s basketball is back at Bud Walton Arena on Wednesday night. The Razorbacks host Abilene Christian after a nearly two-week road trip.
- Former Hogs commit Tanner McCalister is re-evaluating his options after the firing of Bielema.
Tweets and the like
• Good luck, Darren, wherever your post-football life takes you. An icon.
— Razorback Football (@RazorbackFB) November 28, 2017
• Here is D-Mac’s joke tweet about the Hogs coaching gig.
— Darren McFadden (@dmcfadden20) November 28, 2017
• Head out to the Jones Center this weekend. No Hogs football. Hogs basketball is on the road. Check out Hogs hockey. The Razorbacks host Missouri State on Friday and Saturday, even though the dates say 11/1 and 11/2. Those would be typos.
— Razorback Hockey (@RazorbackHockey) November 28, 2017
• So, there are hardcore fans of Arkansas and then there is this guy. In-Tense.
How far would you go for your favorite team? Chances are not as far as this #Hogs fan, who's also looking at adding an aerial shot tattoo of Razorback Stadium to the top of his skull https://t.co/KW3OuB3nln cc @SportingLifeArk @ArkansasFight pic.twitter.com/PVI5Aln4OK
— Evin Demirel (@evindemirel) November 28, 2017
Skip Breakfast? C’mon. It’s too important. Catch up with previous versions here.
The post Wait, you mean Arkansas didn’t have any idea what it was doing? Gotcha appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.