Tennessee added two commits over the week, wide receiver Shocky Jacques-Louis on Monday and cornerback Jaycee Horn on Thursday.
The commitments push the Vols’ total to 23 in the Classs of 2018.
Here’s an early glance where things stand for the Vols’ Class of 2018:
Where Tennessee’s class ranks
Tennessee ranks as the No. 6 class in the country and the best in the SEC. The Vols hold one 5-star commit, offensive tackle Cade Mays, and eight 4-star prospects.
Six of the top-9 players from the Volunteer State in the Class of 2018 have committed to the Vols.
Horn making his decision public to play for the Vols is huge. It signals coach Butch Jones is at the top of his game recruiting wise.
Tennessee now has three blue-chip prospects in the secondary, Horn, Trey Dean and Brendon Harris.
The Vols also rounded out their recruiting at the wide receiver position with the addition of Jacques-Louis.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 362
- 5-star offers: 21
- 4-star offers: 194
- In-state recruits offered: 25
- Florida recruits offered: 91
- Georgia recruits offered: 62
- Texas recruits offered: 24
- OT Cade Mays, 5-star, Knoxville, Tenn.
- DE Greg Emerson, 4-star, Jackson, Tenn.
- WR Alontae Taylor, 4-star, Manchester, Tenn.
- QB Adrian Martinez, 4-star, Fresno, Calif.
- S Brendon Harris, 4-star, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- DT D’Andre Litaker, 4-star, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- RB Lyn-J Dixon, 4-star, Butler, Ga.
- DT Brant Lawless, 4-star, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- S Trey Dean, 4-star, Hampton, Tenn.
- CB Jaycee Horn, 4-star, Alpharetta, Ga.
- LB Matthew Flint, 3-star, Gurley, Ala.
- DE Dorian Gerald, 3-star, Valencia, Calif.
- DT Jamarcus Chatman, 3-star, Rome, Ga.
- RB Anthony Grant, 3-star, Buford, Ga.
- QB Michael Penix, 3-star, Tampa, Fla.
- TE Jacob Warren, 3-star Knoxville, Tenn.
- WR Jatavious Harris, 3-star, Milledgeville, Ga.
- OG Ollie Lane, 3-star, Corryton, Tenn.
- OT Tanner Antonutti, 3-star, Nashville, Tenn.
- CB Brandon Cross, 3-star, Orlando, Fla.
- CB Tanner Ingle, 3-star, Orlando, Fla.
- WR Shocky Jacques-Louis, 3-star, Fort Myers, Fla.
- P Paxton Brooks, N/R, West Columbia, S.C.
3 top uncommitted targets
4-star OLB Adam Anderson, Rome, Ga.
Anderson de-committed from LSU on July 6 and has visited Tennessee, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama since. Georgia seems the likely favorite to land the in-state talent.
The commitment to Tennessee by Anderson’s friend and teammate, Chatman, will give the Volunteers a shot.
3-star OT Jerome Carvin, Cordova, Tenn.
Carvin reduced his list to 10 on June 12, but Tennessee and Alabama have remained the leaders. Tennessee holds commitments from four offensive linemen, so Carvin could be leaning toward the Crimson Tide.
Carvin’s good friend, Jordan Davis, is a Crimson Tide commit, which is another knock against the Vols.
Carvin will be taking an official visit to Arkansas this fall, which means another SEC team the Vols are up against.
4-star OLB Richard Jibunor, Athens, Ga.
Richard Jibunor had a 1-on-1 interview with SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk, and the linebacker made it clear who his top-2 teams are going forward: Tennessee and Auburn.
Tennessee will take on one more linebacker this class, either Anderson or Jibunor. The Vols don’t appear to be in the lead for either at the moment, but they are within striking distance.
When schools are close and it comes down to the wire in recruiting, anything can happen.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position:
- QB: 2 (Martinez, Penix)
- RB: 2 (Dixon, Grant)
- TE: 1 (Warren)
- WR: 3 (Taylor, Harris, Jacques-Louis)
- OL: 3 (Mays, Lane, Antonutti)
- DL: 5 (Lawless, Litaker, Emerson, Gerald, Chatman)
- LB: 1 (Flint)
- CB: 3 (Ingle, Cross, Horn)
- S: 2 (Harris, Dean)
- P: 1 (Brooks)
Here’s a breakdown of Tennessee’s commits by state:
- Tennessee: 9 (Mays, Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Taylor, Antonutti, Lane, Harris, Warren)
- Georgia: 6 (Dean, Dixon, Grant, Harris, Chatman, Horn)
- Florida: 4 (Penix, Ingle, Cross, Jacques-Louis)
- California: 2 (Martinez, Gerald)
- Alabama: 1 (Flint)
- South Carolina: 1 (Brooks)
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.