Tennessee lost another commitment this week. This time from 4-star cornerback Jaycee Horn.
The Vols might not be totally out of the picture for him, but it doesn’t look good for the Vols right now.
Tennessee currently holds commitments from 15 prospects.
With that in mind, here is a look at where things currently stand for the Volunteers’ Class of 2018:
Where Tennessee’s class ranks
The 247Sports composite ranks the Vols’ 2018 class No. 22 in the nation and No. 7 in the SEC, trailing Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU and Mississippi State. The loss of Cade Mays’ commitment just days before Jones’ firing sent the class down a few spots.
The Horn de-commitment was the biggest news of the week. Tennessee probably won’t have much more news on the recruiting trail until a coach is hired.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
- Current Tennessee coaching staff still hitting recruiting trial after crazy Sunday
- Tennessee recruiting mailbag: Saving the 2018 class, Cade Mays and commitments left
- Why Tennessee is back in former commit Alontae Taylor’s top 5
- What recruiting position is biggest need for Tennessee right now?
- What recruiting position is biggest strength for Tennessee right now?
- Tennessee football’s November recruiting to-do list recap
- Tennessee loses commitment from 4-star CB Jaycee Horn
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 366
- 5-star offers: 21
- 4-star offers: 194
- In-state recruits offered: 25
- Florida recruits offered: 91
- Georgia recruits offered: 62
- Texas recruits offered: 24
- DE Greg Emerson, 4 stars, Jackson, Tenn.
- QB Adrian Martinez, 4 stars, Fresno, Calif.
- DT D’Andre Litaker, 4 stars, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- DT Brant Lawless, 4 stars, Nashville, Tenn.
- S Trey Dean, 4 stars, Hampton, Ga.
- LB Matthew Flint, 3 stars, Gurley, Ala.
- DT Jamarcus Chatman, 3 stars, Rome, Ga.
- RB Anthony Grant, 3 stars, Buford, Ga.
- QB Michael Penix, 3 stars, Tampa, Fla.
- TE Jacob Warren, 3 stars, Knoxville, Tenn.
- OG Ollie Lane, 3 stars, Corryton, Tenn.
- CB Tanner Ingle, 3 stars, Orlando, Fla.
- OT Tanner Antonutti, 3 stars, Nashville, Tenn.
- CB Brandon Cross, 3 stars, Orlando, Fla.
- P Paxton Brooks, 3 stars, West Columbia, S.C.
3 top uncommitted targets
- 3-star OT Jerome Carvin, Cordova, Tenn.: Carvin reduced his list to 10 on June 12, but Tennessee and Alabama have remained the leaders. The Vols now hold commitments from only two offensive linemen, so Carvin has become more of a priority. Carvin’s good friend, Jordan Davis, is a Crimson Tide commit, which is a knock against the Volunteers. Carvin plans to take an official visit to Arkansas, giving Tennessee another SEC team to compete against.
- 3-star LB Caleb Johnson, Columbus, Ga.: Johnson brings the skill set from the defensive side of the ball Tennessee wants in an edge pass rusher. He has been to Tennessee’s campus six times in the last year and a half and seems to really like what is going on with the Vols. It remains to be seen if a coaching change will affect his standing with Tennessee, though.
- 3-star RB Michael Barrett, Valdosta, Ga.: Barrett plays quarterback for Lowndes High School, but the Vols have different plans for him. They see him as a running back, which is important because they only have one running back commit in Grant. This staff has taken at least two running backs each class, and this likely won’t change now. Expect the Vols to continue pursuing Barrett.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position:
- QB: 2 (Martinez, Penix)
- RB: 1 (Grant)
- TE: 1 (Warren)
- WR: 0
- OL: 2 (Lane, Antonutti)
- DL: 4 (Lawless, Litaker, Emerson, Chatman)
- LB: 1 (Flint)
- CB: 1 (Ingle, Cross)
- S: 1 (Dean)
- P: 1 (Brooks)
Here’s a breakdown of Tennessee’s commits by state:
- Tennessee: 6 (Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Antonutti, Lane, Warren)
- Georgia: 3 (Dean, Grant, Chatman)
- Florida: 3 (Ingle, Penix, Cross)
- California: 1 (Martinez)
- Alabama: 1 (Flint)
- South Carolina: 1 (Brooks)
The post Tennessee recruiting: Latest update on Vols’ 2018 football class appeared first on SEC Country.