KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee coach Butch Jones addressed the media in the Ray and Lucy hand studio Wednesday.
The Vols defeated Georgia Tech Monday in a double overtime 42-41 game in Atlanta, Ga.
Tennessee will play its first game at home and take on Indiana State Saturday at 4 p.m.
Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his press conference.
- On Georgia Tech game: Vols played a clean game. Tennessee finished plus-2 in the turnover margin and was 5-of-5 in red zone efficiency.
- On Indiana State: You have to show up and play your best every single week. They will challenge us with shifts.
- On the trash can: We’ve done it for over a year now. It has meant no disrespect to the other team. It is a way to highlight turnovers.
- On not playing many people on the defensive line: Needed experience and maturity to go through a game like Georgia Tech. Will need to play more going forward.
- On players who stepped up: Running back John Kelly provided a spark. Right guard Trey Smith played with contagious passion. Center Jashon Robertson played as good of a game for us.
- On linebacker Daniel Bituli and defensive end Darrell Taylor: Everything is about consistency and Taylor brings that. He is reaping the benefits of having a redshirt year. Bituli took advantage of his playing time.
- On quarterback Jarrett Guarantano: Our backup quarterbacks never wear headsets. The quarterbacks will continue to compete. Jarrett is a good teammate. You’re always one snap away from being in the football game.
- On the offensive line: The pad level was much, much better. We still have to get more physical on both the offensive and defensive lines.
The post Tennessee Football Live Blog: Butch Jones press conference appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.