The 2018 South Carolina recruiting class is nearing completion with 19 commitments now on the books for coach Will Muschamp.
That figure doesn’t include the lone holdover from the 2017 class, defensive end Tyreek Johnson, who will arrive in January as a grayshirt. Though they’re close to max capacity, the Gamecocks have work to do.
Below is an update on where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where the South Carolina class ranks
South Carolina’s 2018 class is ranked No. 20 nationally and No. 6 in the SEC by the 247Sports composite. According to Rivals, the Gamecocks’ class is No. 16 in the country.
Last Saturday, South Carolina reeled in 4-star wide receiver Josh Vann, who was also considering Georgia. It was a big get for the Gamecocks, whose wide receiver haul is now up to four.
On Thursday night, 4-star cornerback Jaycee Horn finally decided his future, but he hopped on board with Tennessee.
In case you missed anything else from this week, here are the latest headlines:
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 235
- 5-star offers: 9
- 4-star offers: 113
- In-state recruits offered: 17
- North Carolina recruits offered: 11
- WR Josh Vann, 4 stars, Tucker (Tucker, Ga.)
- QB Dakereon Joyner, 4 stars, Fort Dorchester (North Charleston, S.C.)
- DB Marlon Character Jr., 4 stars, Northwest Mississippi C.C. (Senatobia, Miss.)
- DB Jonathan Gipson, 3 stars, Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga.)
- DT Dantrell Barkley, 3 stars, Independence C.C. (Independence, Kan.)
- OT Maxwell Iyama, 3 stars, Siegel (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)
- WR Tyquan Johnson, 3 stars, Screven County (Sylvania, Ga.)
- SDE Kingsley Enagbare, 3 stars, Hapeville Charter (Atlanta)
- RB Deshaun Fenwick, 3 stars, Braden River (Bradenton, Fla.)
- DT Jabari Ellis, 3 stars, Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, Ga.)
- RB Lavonte Valentine, 3 stars, Melbourne Central Catholic (Melbourne, Fla.)
- WR Ronnie Jamison, 3 stars, Highland C.C. (Highland, Kan.)
- C Hank Manos, 3 stars, Chapin (Chapin, S.C.)
- OT Wyatt Campbell, 3 stars, Lugoff-Elgin (Lugoff, S.C.)
- OT Jesus Gibbs, 3 stars, Potomac (Dumfries, Va.)
- OLB Ernest Jones, 3 stars, Ware County (Waycross, Ga.)
- S RJ Roderick, 3 stars, Cane Bay (Summerville, S.C.)
- WR Darius Rush, 3 stars, C.E. Murray (Greeleyville, S.C.)
- OG LaMarius Benson, 3 stars, Eastside (Covington, Ga.)
- DE Tyreek Johnson, 3 stars, Lakewood (Sumter, S.C.)
Top 3 uncommitted targets
5-star DE KJ Henry (Clemmons, N.C.)
It’s status quo for Henry, who lists South Carolina as a finalist with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Virginia Tech. The No. 2 weakside defensive end in the country is expected to render a decision before the end of the year, because he’s on track to graduate from West Forsyth High School in December.
4-star OT Dylan Wonnum (Tucker, Ga.)
The younger brother of South Carolina defensive end/outside linebacker D.J. Wonnum has visited Columbia several times in the last 12 months. However, he’s now learning toward Auburn.
4-star ILB Dax Hollifield (Shelby, N.C.)
South Carolina has been among the finalists for Hollifield, who is also considering North Carolina and Virginia Tech. Florida State and Stanford have since been added, to make it a final five. All schools will receive an official visit before Hollifield announces a commitment. The U.S. Army All-American Bowl is the targeted date.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/1 (Joyner)
- RB: 2/2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- TE: 0/0
- WR: 4/4 (Jamison, Johnson, Rush, Vann)
- OL: 5/6 (Benson, Campbell, Gibbs, Iyama, Manos)
- DL: 4/5 (Barkley, Ellis, Enagbare, Johnson)
- ILB: 0/1
- OLB: 1/2 (Jones)
- CB: 1/2 (Character)
- S: 2/2 (Gipson, Roderick)
Here’s a breakdown of South Carolina’s commits by state:
- South Carolina: 8 (Campbell, Ellis, Jamison, Johnson, Joyner, Manos, Roderick, Rush)
- North Carolina: 1 (Barkley)
- Georgia: 7 (Benson, Character, Enagbare, Gipson, Jones, Johnson, Vann)
- Florida: 2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- Virginia: 1 (Gibbs)
- Tennessee: 1 (Iyama)
The post South Carolina recruiting: Latest updates on the Gamecocks’ 2018 class appeared first on SEC Country.