The South Carolina football team is expected to add about 12 prospects from the Class of 2018 when the semester begins in January.
As a whole, the Gamecocks’ commitment class sits at 18 members, though the figure doesn’t include a holdover from the 2017 class — defensive end Tyreek Johnson — who’s among the prospects set to arrive in January.
The first signing period for the 2018 recruiting cycle is Dec. 20-22.
Below is an update on where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where the South Carolina class ranks
According to the 247Sports composite, South Carolina’s 2018 class is ranked No. 25 in the country. The Gamecocks are 9th among teams from the SEC.
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 238
- 5-star offers: 9
- 4-star offers: 113
- In-state recruits offered: 17
- North Carolina recruits offered: 12
- WR Josh Vann, 4 stars, Tucker (Tucker, Ga.)
- QB Dakereon Joyner, 4 stars, Fort Dorchester (North Charleston, S.C.)
- DB Marlon Character Jr., 4 stars, Northwest Mississippi C.C. (Senatobia, Miss.)
- DB Jonathan Gipson, 3 stars, Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga.)
- OT Maxwell Iyama, 3 stars, Siegel (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)
- WR Tyquan Johnson, 3 stars, Screven County (Sylvania, Ga.)
- SDE Kingsley Enagbare, 3 stars, Hapeville Charter (Atlanta)
- RB Deshaun Fenwick, 3 stars, Braden River (Bradenton, Fla.)
- DT Jabari Ellis, 3 stars, Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, Ga.)
- RB Lavonte Valentine, 3 stars, Melbourne Central Catholic (Melbourne, Fla.)
- WR Ronnie Jamison, 3 stars, Highland C.C. (Highland, Kan.)
- C Hank Manos, 3 stars, Chapin (Chapin, S.C.)
- OT Wyatt Campbell, 3 stars, Lugoff-Elgin (Lugoff, S.C.)
- OT Jesus Gibbs, 3 stars, Potomac (Dumfries, Va.)
- OLB Ernest Jones, 3 stars, Ware County (Waycross, Ga.)
- S RJ Roderick, 3 stars, Cane Bay (Summerville, S.C.)
- WR Darius Rush, 3 stars, C.E. Murray (Greeleyville, S.C.)
- OG LaMarius Benson, 3 stars, Eastside (Covington, Ga.)
- DE Tyreek Johnson, 3 stars, Lakewood (Sumter, S.C.)
Top 3 uncommitted targets
5-star DE K.J. Henry (Clemmons, N.C.)
There’s no word yet if South Carolina’s coaches went to see Henry for an in-home visit this week.
4-star OT Dylan Wonnum (Tucker, Ga.)
Offensive line coach Eric Wolford had an in-home visit with Wonnum earlier this week.
4-star OLB Channing Tindall (Columbia, S.C.)
Coach Will Muschamp, defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson and linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler saw Tindall on Monday.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/1 (Joyner)
- RB: 2/2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- TE: 0/0
- WR: 4/4 (Jamison, Johnson, Rush, Vann)
- OL: 5/6 (Benson, Campbell, Gibbs, Iyama, Manos)
- DL: 3/5 (Ellis, Enagbare, Johnson)
- ILB: 0/1
- OLB: 1/1 (Jones)
- CB: 1/2 (Character)
- S: 2/3 (Gipson, Roderick)
Here’s a breakdown of South Carolina commits by state:
- South Carolina: 8 (Campbell, Ellis, Jamison, Johnson, Joyner, Manos, Roderick, Rush)
- Georgia: 7 (Benson, Character, Enagbare, Gipson, Jones, Johnson, Vann)
- Florida: 2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- Virginia: 1 (Gibbs)
- Tennessee: 1 (Iyama)
The post South Carolina football recruiting: The push for the first signing day appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.