South Carolina is just more than a week into its second preseason camp under coach Will Muschamp. SEC Country’s Hale McGranahan is joined by Mike Chapman to highlight some of the areas of concern for the Gamecocks before the start of the 2017 season, during this edition of Zaxby’s Sound Off.
Sound Off: South Carolina 2017 preview
* Junior Zack Bailey, South Carolina’s best offensive lineman, has solidified himself at right tackle. Not too bad for a guy who began his career at center before moving to left guard a season ago. At left guard, he’ll be replaced by Donell Stanley, a big man with some pretty nimble feet.
* The competition for the opposite tackle spot is much more wide-open. The Gamecocks starting left tackle this season has never played a snap at that position in the SEC. Fortunately for sophomore quarterback Jake Bentley, the top two options do have college experience. JUCO transfer Dennis Daley, who played the position at Georgia Military Academy, is battling redshirt junior Malik Young, South Carolina’s starting right tackle for most of the 2016 season. ( 1:16)
* It’s been an issue around the football program in Columbia for the last few years, but can South Carolina find some answers up front from their veterans along the defensive line? Seniors Taylor Stallworth, Dante Sawyer and Ulric Jones, all of whom were called out at SEC Media Days by coach Will Muschamp, could also use help from a few of the new guys. ( 3:10)
* The biggest body up front is junior college transfer Javon Kinlaw, a 6-foot-6, 326-pound sophomore who’s built like a house. The future of the defensive tackle position could be in good hands. ( 5:55)
* Elliott Fry, South Carolina’s all-time leading scorer, no longer is the kicker. But he’s hardly the only specialist who needs replacing in 2017. Redshirt freshman Alex Woznick, who kicked at Eastside High School in Taylors, S.C., is among the specialists vying for a role. He’s got plenty of talent, but hasn’t kicked in front of 80,000 fans on national television. ( 8:43)
The post Sound Off: South Carolina auditioning bid bodies to protect Jake Bentley appeared first on SEC Country.