Alabama’s season-opening 24-7 victory at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta was a big one, and re-established the Crimson Tide as the team to beat in college football. But it was also costly.
Four injured linebackers, with Christian Miller and Terrell Lewis out for the year and Rashaan Evans and Anfernee Jennings expected to be out for a couple weeks, has the defense scrambling to find replacements and looking to numerous players to fill roles.
Meanwhile, Fresno State is set to visit in the home opener Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium (3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2).
On this edition of Sound Off, presented by Zaxby’s, Marq Burnett and Christopher Walsh reflect on the state of the team and offer their thoughts on facing the Bulldogs, under new head coach Jeff Tedford.
Sound off: Licking wounds and looking forward
Here are some timestamps to guide you:
- :40: Before moving on, Marq reflects on Alabama’s victory and what we took away from the Florida State game. Alabama came into the game ranked No. 1, but are there serious concerns as the Crimson Tide move forward?
- 1:40: One thing that Alabama did not do during the Florida State game was establish an offensive identity. There are good reasons why this was so, and why the offense might look different during the subsequent games.
- 3:20 Initial thoughts on Fresno State, and why no one knows much about them. With a new coaching staff following a 1-11 season the Bulldogs have new schemes and are coming off a 66-0 victory against a small FCS opponent.
- 4:00: In a “What were they thinking” moment, Chris points out a scheduling problem for one of these teams, and it’s not Alabama.
- 6:15: Chris gives his favorite play from the FSU game, and it’s not one that’s been mentioned in conjunction with the player of the week awards from the team or SEC. It’s one that figures to be a sign of things to come for the defense.
- 6:45: Similar to discussing who might be the best player on the defense, Marq and Chris have a similar discussion about the offense. After being overlooked all offseason, running back Damien Harris had a great game but the player to watch is wide receiver Calvin Ridley.
- 9:00 Finally, the latest on the development of quarterback Jalen Hurts and if he looked more confident in Year 2 as Alabama’s starter.
Check back to SEC Country all week for everything you need to know about Alabama vs. Fresno, in addition to weekly videos from Marq and Christopher breaking down the biggest Crimson Tide stories of the season.
The post Sound Off: Previewing Alabama football’s home opener Saturday vs. Fresno State appeared first on SEC Country.