It won’t get any easier for Oklahoma and its College Football Playoff hopes.
After winning a classic Bedlam shootout against Oklahoma State last week, the No. 5 Sooners will face another huge challenge Saturday night against No. 6 TCU.
Baker Mayfield’s monster game against the Cowboys has boosted him into the unquestioned top spot in the Heisman Trophy race.
The Sooners appear to be hitting on all cylinders as an offense. And their leaky defense came through with some critical plays to eke out the victory over Oklahoma State.
TCU will offer different challenges. The main one will be the Sooners’ offense going against the Big 12’s best defense.
DieHards’ Oklahoma beat writer John Shinn and Joe Buettner will cover all this and much more in this week’s Zaxby’s Sound Off.
Sound Off: Oklahoma-TCU
Here are some time stamps to navigate this week Sound Off.
- Oklahoma wins another instant-classic Bedlam game (0:12).
- The Sooners gave up a lot of points, but their defense actually came throw at critical moments (1:14).
- Baker Mayfield got away with some critical mistakes against Oklahoma State (2:15).
- Oklahoma’s defense had a good day in the red zone and came up with three key turnovers against the Cowboys (3:05).
- Marquise Brown’s speed gives Oklahoma’s offense the element that Dede Westbrook provided in 2016 (3:41).
- Baker Mayfield moves into the top spot in the Heisman Trophy race with his Bedlam performance. He also gets another high profile game with TCU coming to Norman (5:19).
- At this point of the season, Mayfield’s seems like a bigger favorite than Sam Bradford (2008) and Jason White (2003) enjoyed during their Heisman Trophy seasons. (6:37).
- No. 6 TCU comes to Norman in a similar situation to Texas Tech in 2008. The winner becomes the Big 12’s only hope for a College Football Playoff spot (7:03).
- TCU quarterback Kenny Hill looked great early in the season, but has he regressed in the second half of the season (8:31)?
- This could be the first of two Oklahoma-TCU games in the season’s final month (9:27).
- Baker Mayfield made a plea to fans to show up early and be loud for the TCU game (9:55).
- The Sooners seem blocked in the College Football Playoff standings for now. Keep winning the logjam will break (11:21).
The post Sound Off: Oklahoma jumps from frying pan into the fire appeared first on Diehards.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.