Florida State may be enduring a very trying season, but the hardships did not affect its ability to once again beat Florida.
The Seminoles (5-6) earned a 38-22 road win over the Gators this past Saturday behind defensive touchdowns from Jacob Pugh and Levonta Taylor, who helped FSU beat UF for the fifth straight year. Pugh returned a fumble 16 yards for a score in the first quarter, and Taylor returned an interception 18 yards for another in the second. The ‘Noles built a 24-7 lead and received enough offense to hold off their in-state rival.
FSU improved to 18-2 against Sunshine State teams since Jimbo Fisher took over in 2010. It also moved a step closer to becoming bowl eligible for the 36th consecutive year. The Seminoles will have a chance to extend their NCAA-record streak by beating Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday at home in a game rescheduled from early September because of Hurricane Irma.
While it may not have been the season many had expected at the start of the year, FSU is intent on finishing the year strong, and that could lead to a possible bid in a postseason showcase such as the Sun Bowl.
In this week’s episode of Sound Off, presented by Zaxby’s, ACC DieHards writers Dave Miller and Joe McCaffrey discuss the latest news in Tallahassee as the ‘Noles look to earn a bowl invite.
Florida State dealing with Jimbo Fisher rumors as it looks to finish strong
Here are some time stamps to guide you:
- The Seminoles put forth a standout defensive effort against UF. Why was this unit not as dominant throughout the course of the season? (1:46)
- James Blackman has dealt with an up and down campaign, but the first-year starting quarterback has certainly made many strides in 2017. (3:51)
- FSU moved up another spot in our latest batch of ACC power rankings. (5:21)
- Louisiana-Monroe is the final opponent in the regular season. What should Seminole fans know about the Warhawks? (7:44)
- Rumors are swirling that Jimbo Fisher could move onto Texas A&M. How likely is it that FSU will be looking for a new coach? (11:11)
The post Sound Off: Another win over Florida has Florida State on the cusp of a bowl bid appeared first on Diehards.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.